From: Bo Berglund on
I have a guest running Windows 2003 server under VPC2007SP1.
The network is set to Local Only and the IP on the guset is set
manually to 192.168.113.10 with netmask 255.255.255.0

On the host I have an MS Loopback adapter set to 192.168.113.1 with
the same netmask.

I thought that this would work as connection between the two, but it
does not.

What is wrong?

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Bo Berglund on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 08:45:46 +0100, Bo Berglund
<boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote:

>I have a guest running Windows 2003 server under VPC2007SP1.
>The network is set to Local Only and the IP on the guset is set
>manually to 192.168.113.10 with netmask 255.255.255.0
>
>On the host I have an MS Loopback adapter set to 192.168.113.1 with
>the same netmask.
>
>I thought that this would work as connection between the two, but it
>does not.
>
>What is wrong?

I solved it by changing the network setting in the guest settings from
Local Only to point to the Loopback adapter in the host.
Still I had the impression before that using Local Only meant that all
guests that are running simultaneously will be on a local isolated
network and that the host could attach to this network via its
Loopback adapter if it was manually set to a comptible address.

Is there some extra config item to set for that to work???

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Bill Grant on

"Bo Berglund" <boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote in message
> On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 08:45:46 +0100, Bo Berglund
> <boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote:
>
>>I have a guest running Windows 2003 server under VPC2007SP1.
>>The network is set to Local Only and the IP on the guset is set
>>manually to 192.168.113.10 with netmask 255.255.255.0
>>
>>On the host I have an MS Loopback adapter set to 192.168.113.1 with
>>the same netmask.
>>
>>I thought that this would work as connection between the two, but it
>>does not.
>>
>>What is wrong?
>
> I solved it by changing the network setting in the guest settings from
> Local Only to point to the Loopback adapter in the host.
> Still I had the impression before that using Local Only meant that all
> guests that are running simultaneously will be on a local isolated
> network and that the host could attach to this network via its
> Loopback adapter if it was manually set to a comptible address.
>
> Is there some extra config item to set for that to work???
>
> --
>
> Bo Berglund (Sweden)

No, local only is for communication between guests only. You need to use
the loopback adapter network if you want to include the host OS.