From: Rod Speed on
David Brown wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> David Brown wrote
>>> Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) wrote

>>> 2.5 inch disks usually generate a lot less heat than a 3.5 inch disk, so my guess would be no.

>>> I'm considering one of these, or perhaps 4x 2.5" in a 5.25" bay. Two 2.5 inch 500 GB disks will be around twice the
>>> price of a single
>>> 3.5" 1 TB disk, but as far as I can see they will be quieter and
>>> lower power (even with two of them), and faster (using raid0).

>> My Samsung 3.5" 1.5TB drives are completely silent, you have to
>> listen very carefuly to see if they have spun up in a USB docking station.

> I haven't paid much attention to disk drive noise or power
> requirements before, but I'm planning on having several drives on a
> new machine (to play around with raid) and so the total drive noise
> is (perhaps) going to be noticeable. It's useful to hear people's
> experiences with modern drives - "completely silent" is more helpful
> than "2.5 Bel" on a web page of drive specifications.

>> MUCH better value and speed too.

> There's no argument about value.

> I had a look at some details of drives on Samsung's website, and was
> somewhat surprised by some of the specification details. I had
> thought that the seek time for 2.5" drives would be lower than for
> 3.5" drives since the maximum movement distance is smaller. Apparently that's not the case. And the disk-to-buffer
> transfer
> speed is almost twice as fast for the 3.5" disks. It also seems that
> there is little difference in the noise, although the the 3.5" disks
> take more than twice the power of the 2.5" disks.

> All in all, I think I'll be going for 3.5" disks.

Yeah, I do, mainly because they are so much cheaper.

I do buy quite a few, mainly they are for overflow from the PVR.

> While 2.5" have the potential for being faster

I dont care about the speed, what I need is best $/TB and nice and
quiet and dont get warm. I use the greens for the PVR overflow.

> in that you can fit more into a given space and run them in parallel, it's just not going to be worth the money.

Yep, and more hassle than a single physical 1.5TB drive too.

I put them in USB/esata docking stations.