From: ClueLess on
Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, 24hoursupport.helpdesk

Hi Friends

Here is a strange problem, when I connect my hard disk using the 80
wire cable my computer does not recognize it.

It happened this way. I had to check another hard disk and so I
swapped the disks (IDE0) and found it was not recognized. Then I
connected the original hard disk and it was also not recognized. I
tried both the IDE0 and IDE1 channels with the same result. I tried
also other hard disks as well other 80 wire cables, still no go.

Then I found an old 40 wire cable and when connected with this, bingo,
all the hard disks are recognized.

No pins broken, no hardware damage. All the cablea are in good
condition. In fact the machine for years worked with only the 80 wire
cable.

How does this happen? This is just a banana motherboard and the
problem is in the bios stage itself. (bios says "Not installed")

If any of you can give me an explanation or a solution please do

--
Thank you for your time and response

ClueLess
From: Desk Rabbit on
On 01/03/2010 14:21, ClueLess wrote:
> Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>
> Hi Friends
>
> Here is a strange problem, when I connect my hard disk using the 80
> wire cable my computer does not recognize it.
>
> It happened this way. I had to check another hard disk and so I
> swapped the disks (IDE0) and found it was not recognized. Then I
> connected the original hard disk and it was also not recognized. I
> tried both the IDE0 and IDE1 channels with the same result. I tried
> also other hard disks as well other 80 wire cables, still no go.
>
> Then I found an old 40 wire cable and when connected with this, bingo,
> all the hard disks are recognized.
>
> No pins broken, no hardware damage. All the cablea are in good
> condition. In fact the machine for years worked with only the 80 wire
> cable.
>
> How does this happen? This is just a banana motherboard and the
> problem is in the bios stage itself. (bios says "Not installed")
>
> If any of you can give me an explanation or a solution please do

And the hard drive make/model is?
And the motherboard make/model is?
And the BIOS version is?
From: Dan C on
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 19:51:31 +0530, ClueLess wrote:

> Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>
> Hi Friends
>
> Here is a strange problem, when I connect my hard disk using the 80 wire
> cable my computer does not recognize it.
>
> It happened this way. I had to check another hard disk and so I swapped
> the disks (IDE0) and found it was not recognized. Then I connected the
> original hard disk and it was also not recognized. I tried both the IDE0
> and IDE1 channels with the same result. I tried also other hard disks as
> well other 80 wire cables, still no go.
>
> Then I found an old 40 wire cable and when connected with this, bingo,
> all the hard disks are recognized.
>
> No pins broken, no hardware damage. All the cablea are in good
> condition. In fact the machine for years worked with only the 80 wire
> cable.
>
> How does this happen? This is just a banana motherboard and the problem
> is in the bios stage itself. (bios says "Not installed")
>
> If any of you can give me an explanation or a solution please do

You'll have to format the hard drive(s) while using the 40-pin cable, and
then the 80-pin cable will work.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet stepped on the land mine.
From: Yousuf Khan on
Dan C wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 19:51:31 +0530, ClueLess wrote:
>> If any of you can give me an explanation or a solution please do
>
> You'll have to format the hard drive(s) while using the 40-pin cable, and
> then the 80-pin cable will work.

Of course, don't follow this advice, at all! He's trying to be a "funny
guy".

Yousuf Khan
From: Brian Cryer on

"ClueLess" <clueless(a)wilderness.org.invalid> wrote in message
> Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>
> Hi Friends
>
> Here is a strange problem, when I connect my hard disk using the 80
> wire cable my computer does not recognize it.
>
> It happened this way. I had to check another hard disk and so I
> swapped the disks (IDE0) and found it was not recognized. Then I
> connected the original hard disk and it was also not recognized. I
> tried both the IDE0 and IDE1 channels with the same result. I tried
> also other hard disks as well other 80 wire cables, still no go.
>
> Then I found an old 40 wire cable and when connected with this, bingo,
> all the hard disks are recognized.
>
> No pins broken, no hardware damage. All the cablea are in good
> condition. In fact the machine for years worked with only the 80 wire
> cable.
>
> How does this happen? This is just a banana motherboard and the
> problem is in the bios stage itself. (bios says "Not installed")
>
> If any of you can give me an explanation or a solution please do

The 40 wire cable was used by older IDE drives. The 80 wire cable was
introduced with the advent of Ultra DMA/66, the extra wires serving to
reduce noise. Full story at http://everything.explained.at/AT_Attachment/

As I recall, with the 40 wire cable you needed to use the cable select on
the drive to indicate whether the drive was a slave or master, but with the
80 wire cable it depended on which of the two connectors on the cable it was
plugged into.

If the drive isn't recognised with the 80 wire cable then I'd suspect either
the cable or the IDE logic on the motherboard. So whilst you might think the
cable is fine I'd still try a different cable.

If you can't find anything wrong with it connected via your old 40 wire
cable, then stick with that. I know that transfer rates will be slower, but
probably not so you'd notice.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian