From: richard on
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 19:51:31 +0530, ClueLess wrote:

> Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>
> Hi Friends
>
> Here is a strange problem, when I connect my hard disk using the 80
> wire cable my computer does not recognize it.
>
> It happened this way. I had to check another hard disk and so I
> swapped the disks (IDE0) and found it was not recognized. Then I
> connected the original hard disk and it was also not recognized. I
> tried both the IDE0 and IDE1 channels with the same result. I tried
> also other hard disks as well other 80 wire cables, still no go.
>
> Then I found an old 40 wire cable and when connected with this, bingo,
> all the hard disks are recognized.
>
> No pins broken, no hardware damage. All the cablea are in good
> condition. In fact the machine for years worked with only the 80 wire
> cable.
>
> How does this happen? This is just a banana motherboard and the
> problem is in the bios stage itself. (bios says "Not installed")
>
> If any of you can give me an explanation or a solution please do

I'm amazed that you could even get the 40 wire cable to connect to the same
connector as the 80 wire. They're generally designed so that you CAN'T do
that.

Was the first drive you checked properly initialized and formatted per
maniufacturer's instructions with the provided disk? That's generally why
it isn't recognized. Did the other drives work elswhere?

In the device manager, do you get any errors?
From: Desk Rabbit on
On 01/03/2010 16:29, richard wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 19:51:31 +0530, ClueLess wrote:
>
>> Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>>
>> Hi Friends
>>
>> Here is a strange problem, when I connect my hard disk using the 80
>> wire cable my computer does not recognize it.
>>
>> It happened this way. I had to check another hard disk and so I
>> swapped the disks (IDE0) and found it was not recognized. Then I
>> connected the original hard disk and it was also not recognized. I
>> tried both the IDE0 and IDE1 channels with the same result. I tried
>> also other hard disks as well other 80 wire cables, still no go.
>>
>> Then I found an old 40 wire cable and when connected with this, bingo,
>> all the hard disks are recognized.
>>
>> No pins broken, no hardware damage. All the cablea are in good
>> condition. In fact the machine for years worked with only the 80 wire
>> cable.
>>
>> How does this happen? This is just a banana motherboard and the
>> problem is in the bios stage itself. (bios says "Not installed")
>>
>> If any of you can give me an explanation or a solution please do
>
> I'm amazed that you could even get the 40 wire cable to connect to the same
> connector as the 80 wire. They're generally designed so that you CAN'T do
> that.

Bzzzt! Fail!

http://everything.explained.at/AT_Attachment/

Quote:
"Though the number of wires doubled, the number of connector pins and
the pinout remain the same as 40-conductor cables, and the external
appearance of the connectors is identical."
From: Aardvark on
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 11:52:30 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 09:29:13 -0700, richard <member(a)newsguy.com>wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 19:51:31 +0530, ClueLess wrote:
>>
>>> Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>>>
>>> Hi Friends
>>>
>>> Here is a strange problem, when I connect my hard disk using the 80
>>> wire cable my computer does not recognize it.
>>>
>>> It happened this way. I had to check another hard disk and so I
>>> swapped the disks (IDE0) and found it was not recognized. Then I
>>> connected the original hard disk and it was also not recognized. I
>>> tried both the IDE0 and IDE1 channels with the same result. I tried
>>> also other hard disks as well other 80 wire cables, still no go.
>>>
>>> Then I found an old 40 wire cable and when connected with this, bingo,
>>> all the hard disks are recognized.
>>>
>>> No pins broken, no hardware damage. All the cablea are in good
>>> condition. In fact the machine for years worked with only the 80 wire
>>> cable.
>>>
>>> How does this happen? This is just a banana motherboard and the
>>> problem is in the bios stage itself. (bios says "Not installed")
>>>
>>> If any of you can give me an explanation or a solution please do
>>
>>I'm amazed that you could even get the 40 wire cable to connect to the
>>same connector as the 80 wire. They're generally designed so that you
>>CAN'T do that.
>
> Post a link showing the differences between connectors on 40 wire and
> those on 80 wire.

A piece of advice: don't hold your breath for that.

--
"The whole purpose of setting up Guantanamo Bay is for torture. Why do
this? Because you want to escape the rule of law.... Guantanamo and the
From: Aardvark on
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 12:17:36 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 17:07:45 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
> <aardvark(a)youllnever.know>wrote:

>>> Post a link showing the differences between connectors on 40 wire and
>>> those on 80 wire.
>>
>>A piece of advice: don't hold your breath for that.
>

> <exhales> AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH <inhales>
>
> Ok, thanks I almost passed out.

Good thing I caught you in time.

From: Rod Speed on
Desk Rabbit wrote:
> On 01/03/2010 14:21, ClueLess wrote:
>> Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>>
>> Hi Friends
>>
>> Here is a strange problem, when I connect my hard disk using the 80
>> wire cable my computer does not recognize it.
>>
>> It happened this way. I had to check another hard disk and so I
>> swapped the disks (IDE0) and found it was not recognized. Then I
>> connected the original hard disk and it was also not recognized. I
>> tried both the IDE0 and IDE1 channels with the same result. I tried
>> also other hard disks as well other 80 wire cables, still no go.
>>
>> Then I found an old 40 wire cable and when connected with this,
>> bingo, all the hard disks are recognized.
>>
>> No pins broken, no hardware damage. All the cablea are in good
>> condition. In fact the machine for years worked with only the 80 wire
>> cable.
>>
>> How does this happen? This is just a banana motherboard and the
>> problem is in the bios stage itself. (bios says "Not installed")
>>
>> If any of you can give me an explanation or a solution please do
>>
> And the hard drive make/model is?
> And the motherboard make/model is?
> And the BIOS version is?

All irrelevant given that the original hard drive isnt recognised anymore.