From: ClueLess on
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 19:51:31 +0530, ClueLess
<clueless(a)wilderness.org.invalid> wrote:

>Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>
>Hi Friends
>
>Here is a strange problem, when I connect my hard disk using the 80
>wire cable my computer does not recognize it.

Here are some clarifications:

Mercury 845GL mobo
Only one drive checked at a time.
The drives checked are all Seagate 80 gb
The original hard disk was working for years with the 80 conductor
cable, correctly mounted - blue end on mobo, hard drive at the end,
set as master.

Only after I checked with another similar hard disk that the problem
started.

I have tried several 80 conductor cables and none work.

All the drives are recognized without exception when using the 40
conductor cable.

I have been using computers since CP/M days and assemble my own when
required but this has got me stumped.

I am very happy at the enthusiastic response from so many of you but
the explanation still eludes :-(

--
ClueLess
From: Rocky on
Get a clue. Real men don't use PATA cables anymore! Time for a new
computer.

From: Rod Speed on
Desk Rabbit wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Desk Rabbit wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Any information is useful at this point.

>> Wrong again.

> Without facts and information ant diagnostic is just pure guesswork.

And I told the OP how to diagnose the problem. No guesswork whatever involved.

>>> It may be a known problem

>> Bet it isnt.

> Could be, maybe not. 50-50 chance of guessing correctly.

Wrong again. There is a much lower proobability than that that your guess is correct.

> 100% success with correct information.

Not with the information you requested there wont be.

>>> but without knowing what he's got the chances of finding out are less than zero.

>> Wrong again. The obvious thing to try is a another 80 wire cable and check that the drive connectors are being
>> plugged in the right way around if they arent polarised.

> I strongly suggest you go back and read the OP's message fully

I know what the OP said.

> before you dig yourself a deeper hole than you are already in.

You're the one desperately attempting to bullshit its way out if its predicament.

> I'll draw your attention to the particular sentence which says:

> "I tried also other hard disks as well other 80 wire cables, still no go."

Doesnt eliminate the possibility that the OP isnt putting the drive connector
on the wrong way around with a non polarised connector on the cable.

From: Rod Speed on
ClueLess <clueless(a)wilderness.org.invalid> wrote
> ClueLess <clueless(a)wilderness.org.invalid> wrote

>> Here is a strange problem, when I connect my hard disk
>> using the 80 wire cable my computer does not recognize it.

> Here are some clarifications:

> Mercury 845GL mobo
> Only one drive checked at a time.
> The drives checked are all Seagate 80 gb

> The original hard disk was working for years with the 80 conductor
> cable, correctly mounted - blue end on mobo, hard drive at the end,
> set as master.

You didnt say if the drive connectors or the motherboard end are polarised.

> Only after I checked with another similar hard disk that the problem started.

> I have tried several 80 conductor cables and none work.

> All the drives are recognized without exception when using the 40 conductor cable.

And that should happen with an 80 wire cable too.

> I have been using computers since CP/M days and assemble
> my own when required but this has got me stumped.

> I am very happy at the enthusiastic response from so many of you but the explanation still eludes :-(

Most likely you arent putting the connector in the right way around with the
80 wire cables, or its some weird effect with that particular motherboard.

The motherboard does decide if the 80 wire cable is a cable
select cable from what it can see of the cable, its possible
that that detection has now failed but thats not very likely at all.

Are the drives jumpered for cable select ? I guess its possible
that they arent and someone had to kludge around a failure of
the bios to detect the drive initially and that kludge got bypassed
with the attempt to test a different drive or something.

From: "nobody >" on
richard wrote:

> I'm amazed that you could even get the 40 wire cable to connect to the same
> connector as the 80 wire. They're generally designed so that you CAN'T do
> that.

Huh? Same 40-pin connector.

> Was the first drive you checked properly initialized and formatted per
> maniufacturer's instructions with the provided disk? That's generally why
> it isn't recognized. Did the other drives work elswhere?

Another Huh? moment.. the OP stated it didn't show in BIOS.

> In the device manager, do you get any errors?

If it ain't in the BIOS, it ain't gonna be in Device Mangler.

Another one for the RtS playbook of screwups...