From: rf on

"nobody >" <usenetharvested(a)aol.com> wrote in message
> richard wrote:
>
>> I'm amazed that you could even get the 40 wire cable to connect to the
>> same
>> connector as the 80 wire. They're generally designed so that you CAN'T do
>> that.
>
> Huh? Same 40-pin connector.
>
>> Was the first drive you checked properly initialized and formatted per
>> maniufacturer's instructions with the provided disk? That's generally why
>> it isn't recognized. Did the other drives work elswhere?
>
> Another Huh? moment.. the OP stated it didn't show in BIOS.
>
>> In the device manager, do you get any errors?
>
> If it ain't in the BIOS, it ain't gonna be in Device Mangler.
>
> Another one for the RtS playbook of screwups...

I'm waiting for him to come back calling everyone idiots. He usually has at
least one swipe before going poof and disappearing.

From: VanguardLH on
Rocky wrote:

> Get a clue. Real men don't use PATA cables anymore! Time for a new
> computer.

Real men don't care what other men think.
From: Rocky on
On Mar 1, 7:20 pm, "Rocky" <wook...(a)att.net> wrote:
> Get a clue.  Real men don't use PATA cables anymore!  Time for a new
> computer.

That makes the third news server this year that will not let you post
with my e-mail address again.

http://Jeff.on.JusticeGoneWild.com

Rocky
From: Rod Speed on
Meat Plow wrote
> ClueLess <clueless(a)wilderness.org.invalid>wrote
>> ClueLess <clueless(a)wilderness.org.invalid> wrote

>>> Here is a strange problem, when I connect my hard disk
>>> using the 80 wire cable my computer does not recognize it.

>> Here are some clarifications:

>> Mercury 845GL mobo
>> Only one drive checked at a time.
>> The drives checked are all Seagate 80 gb
>> The original hard disk was working for years with the 80 conductor
>> cable, correctly mounted - blue end on mobo, hard drive at the end,
>> set as master.

>> Only after I checked with another similar hard disk that the problem started.

>> I have tried several 80 conductor cables and none work.

>> All the drives are recognized without exception when using the 40 conductor cable.

>> I have been using computers since CP/M days and assemble
>> my own when required but this has got me stumped.

>> I am very happy at the enthusiastic response from
>> so many of you but the explanation still eludes :-(

> Have you tried a new, unopened package 80 wire cable? I can't imagine
> an IDE controller knowing the difference between 40 and 80 wires

They do actually. The two cables look different to the motherboard.

> unless there is something wrong with it in that it
> is sensitive to a difference in cable impedence.

One of the pins on the motherboard connector is different.

> I would assume an 80 wire cable has a difference in impedence vs a 40 wire.

That effect isnt used.

From: larry moe 'n curly on

ClueLess wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 19:51:31 +0530, ClueLess
> <clueless(a)wilderness.org.invalid> wrote:

> >Here is a strange problem, when I connect my hard disk using the 80
> >wire cable my computer does not recognize it.

> Only one drive checked at a time.
> The drives checked are all Seagate 80 gb
> The original hard disk was working for years with the 80 conductor
> cable, correctly mounted - blue end on mobo, hard drive at the end,
> set as master.
>
> Only after I checked with another similar hard disk that the problem
> started.
>
> I have tried several 80 conductor cables and none work.
>
> All the drives are recognized without exception when using the 40
> conductor cable.

I don't know if it matters, but why do you have the HD set to Master
instead of to Cable Select? I thought with a standard 80-wire IDE
cable, the cable itself distinguished Master from Slave, by having the
wire for pin 28 connected only to the Master. I've had problems when
I didn't choose Cable Select. OTOH with external drive enclosures
that contained a short 80-wire IDE cable, Cable Select didn't work
because the signal lines for the cable were wired just like a 40-wire
cable's, so the drive had to be set to Master.