From: Rod Speed on
Desk Rabbit wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Desk Rabbit wrote
>>> ClueLess wrote

>>> And the hard drive make/model is?
>>> And the motherboard make/model is?
>>> And the BIOS version is?

>> All irrelevant given that the original hard drive isnt recognised anymore.

> Any information is useful at this point.

Wrong again.

> It may be a known problem

Bet it isnt.

> but without knowing what he's got the chances of finding out are less than zero.

Wrong again. The obvious thing to try is a another 80 wire cable and check that the
drive connectors are being plugged in the right way around if they arent polarised.

From: Rod Speed on
Meat Plow wrote:

>> <which is qualified in a following paragraph regarding cable select>
>>>
>>> Wrong. 80 wire cables are usually cable select cables, 40 wire
>>> cables usually are not.
>>
>> Get an ohmmeter to test.
>>
>> http://www.unitechelectronics.com/ide44pinout.gif
>> (this is the drive header, same pinout as for mobo header; remember
>> to mirror the image for ribbon connector)
>>
>> Cable select cables require a pin (#28) not be connected on one of
>> the device-side connectors. I already mentioned in my prior post
>> how this can be done. The host adapter grounds this signal (i.e.,
>> when connected, the device sees a ground line). If pin 28 is
>> connected at the device (i.e., the device sees this signal is
>> grounded), it is the master device. If this pin is open (floating),
>> that device is the slave.
>>
>> Just get a continuity tester to determine in pin 28 is open on one
>> of the device connectors on the ribbon cable. I have 80-wire,
>> 40-pin cables that have pin 28 connected and some where it is open.
>> I have not seen a predominance of one or the other to claim a
>> "usual" configuration, and because of this is why I test. It all
>> depends on who manufactured the cable. For example, the
>> manufacturer might want that same 80-wire cable to be usable in
>> 40-wire cable setups so they feed pin 28 to all connectors. The same
>> holds true as to whether the connector or shroud are polarized with
>> a tang or notch, if depolarized by the absense of a tang or having
>> notches on both sides of the shroud, or if pin 20 is used as a
>> polarizing key (by pin 20 missing in header and blocked or solid in
>> the connector). You have to look. For cable-select or not enforced
>> in the manufacture of a 80-wire ribbon cable, you have to check with
>> a continuity check.
>>
>> If the connectors on the ribbon cable are color coded, I would
>> suspect cable-select was enforced through the physical connections
>> as follows:
>>
>> - Blue: Motherboard. Pin 28 connected.
>> - Black: Master device. Pin 28 connected.
>> - Gray: Slave device. Pin 28 not connected.
>>
>> But I'd still check pin 28 with a continuity tester to make sure.
>> You may not have cable-enforced cable-select with some 80-wire
>> ribbon cables (i.e., pine 28 goes to all connectors) when you want
>> to use cable-select on the device jumpers. You may not want
>> cable-enforced cable-select if you are using jumpers on the devices
>> to configure them as master and slave. Whether you have a
>> cable-select cable is something you should really test.
>
> Dell has been using Cable Select for at least 11 years.
> Long before 80 wire and UDMA 5 came to fruition.

And so did Compaq.

From: Desk Rabbit on
On 02/03/2010 00:00, Rod Speed wrote:
> Desk Rabbit wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> Desk Rabbit wrote

>>> All irrelevant given that the original hard drive isnt recognised anymore.
>
>> Any information is useful at this point.
>
> Wrong again.

Without facts and information ant diagnostic is just pure guesswork.

>> It may be a known problem
>
> Bet it isnt.
Could be, maybe not. 50-50 chance of guessing correctly. 100% success
with correct information.

>> but without knowing what he's got the chances of finding out are less than zero.
>
> Wrong again. The obvious thing to try is a another 80 wire cable and check that the
> drive connectors are being plugged in the right way around if they arent polarised.

I strongly suggest you go back and read the OP's message fully before
you dig yourself a deeper hole than you are already in. I'll draw your
attention to the particular sentence which says:

"I tried also other hard disks as well other 80 wire cables, still no go."

From: VanguardLH on
Rod Speed wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote

>> <which is qualified in a following paragraph regarding cable select>
>
> So that claim is just plain wrong. There is in fact that very real difference.
>
>>> Wrong. 80 wire cables are usually cable select cables, 40 wire cables usually are not.
>
>> Get an ohmmeter to test.
>
> Dont need one. I use the ATA standard.
>
> <reams of you proving what I said flushed where it belongs>

Good luck trying to configure 2 hard drives to use cable select when the
80-wire cable that you happen to use has pin 28 connected on both device
connectors.