From: Paul Randall on

"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005(a)bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 02:22:04 -0400, Lem <lemp40(a)unknownhost> wrote:

>>My understanding, however, is that for really sensitive information, the
>>government requires physical destruction of the disk.
>
> Well if they're going to destroy it anyhow, can I have it?

Exactly which parts of the destroyed disk do you want to have? I'm thinking
they either use an incinerator or a shredder to ensure that the ones and
zeros can not be recovered in a meaningful way. At least some portion of
the incinerator/shredder output is probably classified as hazardous waste,
which will be expensive to ship to you.

-Paul Randall

From: mm on
On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 06:38:56 -0500, "Paul Randall"
<paulr901(a)cableone.net> wrote:

>"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005(a)bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 02:22:04 -0400, Lem <lemp40(a)unknownhost> wrote:
>

>>>My understanding, however, is that for really sensitive information, the
>>>government requires physical destruction of the disk.
>>
>> Well if they're going to destroy it anyhow, can I have it?
>
>Exactly which parts of the destroyed disk do you want to have? I'm thinking

I want it before they destory it. If they're going to destroy it
anyhow, they might as well give it to me. I promise I won't give the
data to anyone else or misuse it myself.

From: Paul Randall on

> On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 06:38:56 -0500, "Paul Randall"
> <paulr901(a)cableone.net> wrote:
>

>>"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005(a)bigfoot.com> wrote in message

>>> Well if they're going to destroy it anyhow, can I have it?
>>
>>Exactly which parts of the destroyed disk do you want to have? I'm
>>thinking
>
> I want it before they destory it. If they're going to destroy it
> anyhow, they might as well give it to me. I promise I won't give the
> data to anyone else or misuse it myself.

You have a facility as secure as the facility in which the drives had been
used by the government, in which you would use/store them, with all the
safeguards and paper trails to prove it? And the appropriate security level
for all your personel? And the 'need to know' clearance for the info that
you won't misuse? I'm thinking it would be way cheaper for you to just buy
new drives.