From: KARL DEWEY on
The 'ten' records you get on a TOP 10 are based upon how the records are
sorted.
So if you can sort differently or number your records to use criteria to
select them.

Do you have an autonumber by chance? Post your table and field names with
datatype. Also sample data.

--
Build a little, test a little.

From: mls via AccessMonster.com on
Can the query be more generic.i.e to select any of the first 10 rows, next 10
rows, irrespective of order. I don't have autonumber or primarykey, I am
reading from .CSV file and process that data to write to excel template. Is
it mandatory to have autonumber field to just retrieve certain number of
records?

select tabl.*, count(*) as cnt into res1 having cnt <=10;
select tabl.*, count(*) as cnt into res2 having cnt >10;

From: ghetto_banjo on
well having one of the fields being unique would make things easier.
In relational databases, tables are NOT sorted; you sort them via
query. So when you want to select the Top 10 records, you need to do
so with an "Order By" to get expected/meaningful results.

Now perhaps when Access links to a CSV, that it keeps it "in order"
according to the rows of the spreadsheet, but that seems like a VERY
dangerous thing to assume. Without having a way to sort them, you
can't be certain that the records in the "first 10 rows" are not also
found in the "next 10 rows" according to a SELECT TOP query with no
ORDER BY clause.
From: John W. Vinson on
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:35:08 GMT, "mls via AccessMonster.com" <u55943(a)uwe>
wrote:

>Can the query be more generic.i.e to select any of the first 10 rows, next 10
>rows, irrespective of order. I don't have autonumber or primarykey, I am
>reading from .CSV file and process that data to write to excel template. Is
>it mandatory to have autonumber field to just retrieve certain number of
>records?

I'd be inclined in this case to bypass Queries altogether and just do this in
VBA. You can use file operations to open the .csv file and step through it
with a Do Loop, writing it out to Excel.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: mls via AccessMonster.com on
John, This is not just dumping. I have read .csv file and transpose i.e
crosstab and apply some filters. Is it possible to get\create rowid atleast
in Access?