From: LVTravel on

> From: <catatonic-state(a)today.com>
>
> | I was reading the other messages about this on here.
> | How can I tell if my hard drive is fat32 or ntft?
> | I went to control panel and somewhere in there it says the word
> | drives, but all it shows me is what I assume is the drive model
> | number. I never knew there was a diffwerence. I thought all hard
> | drives were the same.
>

> You mean "FAT32 or NTFS".
>
> If your hard disk is greater than 32GB then you are using NTFS.
>
> XP does not provide a way to format drives greater than 32GB using the
> FAT32 scheme.
>
> The drive model has NO bearing on this subject matter except that the
> model suggests the
> size of the disk.
>
> --
> Dave
> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

David, slight correction to your post. While XP will not format a drive
larger than 32 GB XP can be installed onto a FAT32 drive that has been
formatted by another OS (98 or ME, etc.) or method larger than 32 GB. Just
because the OP has a drive of 80 GB does not mean that it is formatted as
NTFS. Others have posted the various ways that it can be determined if FAT
32 or NTFS is used.

From: Paul on
catatonic-state(a)today.com wrote:
> I was reading the other messages about this on here.
> How can I tell if my hard drive is fat32 or ntft?
> I went to control panel and somewhere in there it says the word
> drives, but all it shows me is what I assume is the drive model
> number. I never knew there was a diffwerence. I thought all hard
> drives were the same.

Start ; Run : diskmgmt.msc

Disks are broken up into pieces called "Partitions". When you look
in Disk Management, you're seeing boxes representing partitions or
empty spaces. In the list at the top of Disk Management, there is a
column called "File System", and that shows the file system used
on that particular partition.

A disk can have multiple partitions. Right now, my disks have four
partitions on each. Some of my partitions are FAT32 and some are
NTFS. I make NTFS partitions, when I know I'll need to store files
having a size over 4GB. FAT32 only supports files up to a maximum size
of 4GB. Some utility software, if it sees you're using FAT32, will
break up an output file into smaller pieces, to fit within that limit.
If you're doing downloads, and you attempt to download a >4GB file
onto a C: drive formatted FAT32, that can result in the download
being stopped. The browser may be using the %temp% directory for
the download, and overflowing that is what may stop your download.
FAT32 is fine, as long as you keep that 4GB limit in mind when doing
stuff. If you worked a lot with large files used for preparing
DVDs, then FAT32 might not be a good choice.

There are utilities available, that can format a partition with the
FAT32 file system, for partitions larger than 32GB. I think you can
have a FAT32 partition up to 2TB in size, but it might not be the most
efficient way to store files. Microsoft encouraged NTFS, by making
their FAT32 formatter stop at 32GB, but since the file system
supports more than that, a third party utility will let you do
what you want.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/download/fat32format.zip

Once unzipped, that gives the command line program "fat32format.exe".

The 2TB limit for FAT32 is mentioned here (2TB if you want to
boot from it).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat32#FAT32

HTH,
Paul
From: David H. Lipman on
From: <catatonic-state(a)today.com>

| You mean that win98 or win-me DID allow bigger than 32 gig drives and
| XP dont? Isnt that sort of backwards? Especially when they now sell
| 1000gig drives (I think they call that a trigabyte).

| My drive is a 40gig and I used one method mentioned on here and it has
| NTFS (spelled right this time). I would like to add another 40gig
| drive. I do know how to put in another drive, and probably have to
| change a jumper. But how do I get it to be NTFS? Or, dont it matter
| what I use on a second drive? I'd actually like to get an 80gig or
| bigger drive, but if I cant use more than 32 gigs, whats the point.

| The funny thing is that my 12 year old computer with win98 has 3 hard
| drives with a total of 160 gigs. And I thought XP was supposed to be
| superior.

| By the way. how the heck do I make a shortcut for control panel on
| the desktop with XP? In win98, it was just like making any other
| shortcut, but in XP, the right click mouse dont give that option. Why
| not? So far, XP is much harder to use than win98, and everyone told
| me it was easier. WRONG.

Win9x/ME defaulte to formatting in FAT32 because they were DIS based OS' while XP is a NT
based OS, WinXP will format a 20GB drive as FAT32 but anything larger than 32GB will be
formatted as NTFS and you won't see a FAT32 selection available.

XP is is easy to use, it is just different beacuse it is a NT based OS There were two
families; Win9x/ME and NT. Now there is only one and that is NT and NT4, Win2K, XP,
Vista and Windows 7 are in that family.

As for adding a second drive, you would be hard pressed to find another 40GB hard disk.
If your system has 40GB then it has some age to it and you have an IDE/EIDE disk
sub-system and if you wanted to add an internal hard disk you would have to get a IDE/EIDE
hard disk, Depending upon its age and BIOS its possible that it won't see a hard disak
>132GB in size.

You do not NEED a Cotrol Panel icon on the desktop. You can easily get to the Control
Panel via; Start --> settings --> control panel

--
Dave

From: Bob I on

catatonic-state(a)today.com wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 23:08:28 -0400, "LVTravel" <none(a)nothere.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>>
>>>From: <catatonic-state(a)today.com>

>>>You mean "FAT32 or NTFS".
>>>
>>>If your hard disk is greater than 32GB then you are using NTFS.
>>>
>>>XP does not provide a way to format drives greater than 32GB using the
>>>FAT32 scheme.
>>>
>>>The drive model has NO bearing on this subject matter except that the
>>>model suggests the
>>>size of the disk.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Dave
>>>http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>>>Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
>>>

>>David, slight correction to your post. While XP will not format a drive
>>larger than 32 GB XP can be installed onto a FAT32 drive that has been
>>formatted by another OS (98 or ME, etc.) or method larger than 32 GB. Just
>>because the OP has a drive of 80 GB does not mean that it is formatted as
>>NTFS. Others have posted the various ways that it can be determined if FAT
>>32 or NTFS is used.
>

> You mean that win98 or win-me DID allow bigger than 32 gig drives and
> XP dont? Isnt that sort of backwards? Especially when they now sell
> 1000gig drives (I think they call that a trigabyte).

NO, DOS based Windows CAN'T handle NTFS, they HAVE to use FAT32. XP can
handle any size drive, BUT will NOT create a FAT32 partition greater
than 32 GIGs by design because NTFS is better for handling large drives.

From: Tim Slattery on
catatonic-state(a)today.com wrote:

>You mean that win98 or win-me DID allow bigger than 32 gig drives and
>XP dont? Isnt that sort of backwards?

In Win95/98/ME you couldn't use NTFS. The only choice you had for a
large partition was NTFS. So yes, those systems allowed you to create
horribly large FAT32 partitions.

SP/Vista/Win7 will use a FAT32 partition of any size. But the software
that comes with the OS will not create a FAT32 partition larger than
32GB, because NTFS is available and it's a MUCH better choice for huge
partitions.

> I would like to add another 40gig
>drive. I do know how to put in another drive, and probably have to
>change a jumper. But how do I get it to be NTFS?

When you start the computer after installing the new drive, it won't
show up in Windows Explorer. You'll have to start Disk Manager and
create at least one partition on it. You'll be able to choose which
file system to use on each partition you create.

> Or, dont it matter what I use on a second drive?

No more and no less than on any other partition.

> I'd actually like to get an 80gig or
>bigger drive, but if I cant use more than 32 gigs, whats the point.

Did I miss something? If you're running XP you can use any size disk.
You'll be FAR better off using NTFS for huge partitions.

>By the way. how the heck do I make a shortcut for control panel on
>the desktop with XP?

Try this: open the Start menu, and find the Control Panel shortcut.
Right-click it and drag it to the desktop.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T(a)bls.gov