From: Mark Adams on

"catatonic-state(a)today.com" wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 23:08:28 -0400, "LVTravel" <none(a)nothere.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
> >> From: <catatonic-state(a)today.com>

> >> You mean "FAT32 or NTFS".
> >>
> >> If your hard disk is greater than 32GB then you are using NTFS.
> >>
> >> XP does not provide a way to format drives greater than 32GB using the
> >> FAT32 scheme.
> >>
> >> The drive model has NO bearing on this subject matter except that the
> >> model suggests the
> >> size of the disk.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Dave
> >> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> >> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
> >>

> >David, slight correction to your post. While XP will not format a drive
> >larger than 32 GB XP can be installed onto a FAT32 drive that has been
> >formatted by another OS (98 or ME, etc.) or method larger than 32 GB. Just
> >because the OP has a drive of 80 GB does not mean that it is formatted as
> >NTFS. Others have posted the various ways that it can be determined if FAT
> >32 or NTFS is used.
>
> You mean that win98 or win-me DID allow bigger than 32 gig drives and
> XP dont? Isnt that sort of backwards? Especially when they now sell
> 1000gig drives (I think they call that a trigabyte).
>
> My drive is a 40gig and I used one method mentioned on here and it has
> NTFS (spelled right this time). I would like to add another 40gig
> drive. I do know how to put in another drive, and probably have to
> change a jumper. But how do I get it to be NTFS? Or, dont it matter
> what I use on a second drive? I'd actually like to get an 80gig or
> bigger drive, but if I cant use more than 32 gigs, whats the point.
>
> The funny thing is that my 12 year old computer with win98 has 3 hard
> drives with a total of 160 gigs. And I thought XP was supposed to be
> superior.
>
> By the way. how the heck do I make a shortcut for control panel on
> the desktop with XP?

Cilck Start, Settings, right click Control Panel from the menu, select
Explore. Control Panel opens, click File, point to Control Panel in menu,
select Create Shortcut. Windows asks if you would like to place shortcut on
desktop, click Yes.

Convoluted, but it works.

In win98, it was just like making any other

From: Twayne on
In news:hhdht5lu7l1eo2f1arm4gbdjsqvihrp7hp(a)4ax.com,
catatonic-state(a)today.com <catatonic-state(a)today.com> typed:
> I was reading the other messages about this on here.
> How can I tell if my hard drive is fat32 or ntft?
> I went to control panel and somewhere in there it says the
> word drives, but all it shows me is what I assume is the
> drive model number. I never knew there was a diffwerence.
> I thought all hard drives were the same.

Gads, so many posts and no one has bothered to answer the question. What a
waste of ego and BW.

To get a look at all your drives and see what they are in XP, click :
Start;
Programs;
Administrative Tools
Computer Management
Disk Management. In disk management it will show you all drives the system
sees, their file type (NTFS or FATxx) and lots more.

A quicker way to get there is to click Start; Run and type

diskmgmt.msc

in the bos and press OK. That'll bring up the same window.

There are several other ways to see this same data but this way gives you
all of them at once.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 00:57:27 -0500, catatonic-state(a)today.com wrote:

> You mean that win98 or win-me DID allow bigger than 32 gig drives and
> XP dont?

No, they both do.

> Isnt that sort of backwards? Especially when they now sell
> 1000gig drives (I think they call that a trigabyte).

No, it's a "terabyte." And a terabyte is not 1000GB, it's 1024GB. All
the names like this (kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte, terabyte, petabyte,
etc.) are 1024 times larger than their predecessor.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Bruce Chambers on
Twayne wrote:
> In news:hhdht5lu7l1eo2f1arm4gbdjsqvihrp7hp(a)4ax.com,
> catatonic-state(a)today.com <catatonic-state(a)today.com> typed:
>> I was reading the other messages about this on here.
>> How can I tell if my hard drive is fat32 or ntft?
>> I went to control panel and somewhere in there it says the
>> word drives, but all it shows me is what I assume is the
>> drive model number. I never knew there was a diffwerence.
>> I thought all hard drives were the same.
>
> Gads, so many posts and no one has bothered to answer the question. What a
> waste of ego and BW.

Actually, several people provided the OP with multiple routes to obtain
the information sought. Had you not been looking primarily for
troll-bait, you'd have noticed.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: dennis on
On 01-05-2010 03:37, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:

> No, it's a "terabyte." And a terabyte is not 1000GB, it's 1024GB. All
> the names like this (kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte, terabyte, petabyte,
> etc.) are 1024 times larger than their predecessor.

Not when you buy a harddrive. Then it is 1000.