From: David H. Lipman on
From: <catatonic-state(a)today.com>

| I was reading the other messages about this on here.
| How can I tell if my hard drive is fat32 or ntft?
| I went to control panel and somewhere in there it says the word
| drives, but all it shows me is what I assume is the drive model
| number. I never knew there was a diffwerence. I thought all hard
| drives were the same.

You mean "FAT32 or NTFS".

If your hard disk is greater than 32GB then you are using NTFS.

XP does not provide a way to format drives greater than 32GB using the FAT32 scheme.

The drive model has NO bearing on this subject matter except that the model suggests the
size of the disk.

--
Dave

From: Don Phillipson on
<catatonic-state(a)today.com> wrote in message

> I was reading the other messages about this on here.
> How can I tell if my hard drive is fat32 or ntft?
> I went to control panel and somewhere in there it says the word
> drives, but all it shows me is what I assume is the drive model
> number. I never knew there was a diffwerence. I thought all hard
> drives were the same.

/ Control Panel / Admin Tools / Computer Management / Storage / Disk
Management
shows each drive (in the right panel) with its (size and) type.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: sgopus on
It's NTFS, and it's nothing to do with the physical structure of your Hard
drive, it's your file structure, as Basic as I can keep it, FAT32 has a 4 Gig
File size limit, NTFS doesn't, Also NTFS is more robust than FAT32 and better
at correcting errors.
Open windows explorer and right click on your C drive, choose properties it
should list the file structure and available free space, as well as used
space. Note this is not referred to as Memory, it's either free space or used
space. Ie you have a 80Gig Hd, when formatted you will not see all 80 Gig as
available, once the operating system is installed, you will see used space
listed and available space.

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:31:55 -0500, catatonic-state(a)today.com wrote:

> I was reading the other messages about this on here.
> How can I tell if my hard drive is fat32 or ntft?

You mean NTFS.

In My Computer, right-click the drive and choose "Properties." It will
tell you there.

> I went to control panel and somewhere in there it says the word
> drives, but all it shows me is what I assume is the drive model
> number. I never knew there was a diffwerence. I thought all hard
> drives were the same.

Hard drives are the same in some resects and different in other
respects. But FAT32 and NTFS are not differences in the drives
themselves. Any drive can be either. The difference between FAT32 and
NTFS is a difference in what file system is put *on* the drive.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Willard on
catatonic-state(a)today.com wrote:
> I was reading the other messages about this on here.
> How can I tell if my hard drive is fat32 or ntft?
> I went to control panel and somewhere in there it says the word
> drives, but all it shows me is what I assume is the drive model
> number. I never knew there was a diffwerence. I thought all hard
> drives were the same.

Disk Defragmenter gives the file system type...