From: Andrew_White on
I have 3 machines networked - XP, Vista and Win 7. XP and Vista are cabled to
the router, Win 7 is Wifi.

I need that visitors with laptops can access the internet by wifi, yet not
automatically access the network. Win 7 integrated itself into the network
with impressive but scary ease, and didn't as far as I recall ask for a
password beyond the wifi password.

Actually I'd like that visitors could share the printer over the network,
but not access any of the other shared resources. However I would settle that
they simply could not access the network at all.

I guess this must be easy but I can't see how to do it!

All thoughts welcomed!

Regards

Andrew

From: Frankster on

"Andrew_White" <AndrewWhite(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 3 machines networked - XP, Vista and Win 7. XP and Vista are cabled
> the router, Win 7 is Wifi.
>
> I need that visitors with laptops can access the internet by wifi, yet not
> automatically access the network. Win 7 integrated itself into the network
> with impressive but scary ease, and didn't as far as I recall ask for a
> password beyond the wifi password.
>
> Actually I'd like that visitors could share the printer over the network,
> but not access any of the other shared resources. However I would settle
> that
> they simply could not access the network at all.
>
> I guess this must be easy but I can't see how to do it!
>
> All thoughts welcomed!
>
> Regards
>
> Andrew

Add another wireless router for your guests to use.

-Frank

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
There are few kind of shares. Some are publicly opened, others can be
privately controlled.
In Win 7 use the Work Network options to set private shares that can be
accessed only by allowed users.
The key words are , Share with "Specific People",
http://www.ezlan.net/Win7/share-specific.jpg
Or get a second Router and build a segregated Network.
Like this, http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] on
Andrew_White <AndrewWhite(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have 3 machines networked - XP, Vista and Win 7. XP and Vista are
> cabled to the router, Win 7 is Wifi.
>
> I need that visitors with laptops can access the internet by wifi,
> yet not automatically access the network. Win 7 integrated itself
> into the network with impressive but scary ease, and didn't as far as
> I recall ask for a password beyond the wifi password.
>
> Actually I'd like that visitors could share the printer over the
> network, but not access any of the other shared resources. However I
> would settle that they simply could not access the network at all.
>
> I guess this must be easy but I can't see how to do it!
>
> All thoughts welcomed!
>
> Regards
>
> Andrew

It is easy if you have the right hardware.... not so easy if you don't. I
use sonicwalls which have integrated wireless I can set up on a totally
separate subnet for guest use. Your perimeter router/firewall might have a
DMZ port you can use to connect another cheap 'n cheerful WAP (use WPA2,
please!).

If you're going to let them use your network printer you have to let them on
your network. I don't like to do that. I'd prefer not to defend at the
computer/share level which is no guarantee of success. What about getting a
USB cable for them to use to connect directly to your printer? I'm assuming
you do have a network printer and that connecting locally to it will not
disable the network function.