From: 5tulips on
The visitor is here. My son sent us a graphic to demonstrate the simple
connection. We did it yesterday . Security is assured and it was a pretty
painless, 3 minute process. Thanks again.
--
5tulips

"john" <jmckenzie(a)cableone.net> wrote in message
: seaweedsl wrote:
: > On Dec 6, 8:55 pm, "5tulips" <5tul...(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
: > wrote:
: >> Thank you seaweeds!. We should be able to take care of that. Just have
: >> check, then, with the ISP who installed the modem. I don't have any
: >> documentation on security with that. I do have a system firewall. Will
: >> check her computer for firewall also.
: >> At least I have some idea of what's necessary. Again, thanks.
: >> --
: >
: > To clarify, there are Local Network (LAN) firewalls and then there are
: > individual firewalls on each PC. I'm talking (and probably Barb
: > also) about the LAN firewall, which is included nowadays as part of
: > any home router. This is the most important one.
: >
: > Whether your pc has an aftermarket software firewall installed or just
: > uses the included Windows firewall (what I prefer) is another
: > issue.
: >
: > Personally, I wouldn't trust the ISP's modem to act as a firewall even
: > if they assured me that it does. I don't want them controlling the
: > settings from afar to suit their needs. Just get your own router and
: > put it inline. Your daughter will know how to do that.
: >
: > Steve
: exactly