From: jmparsons3 on
I have installed Win7 into a fresh partition on my laptop. Much of the
time I am no longer able to see h XP machines on my office wireless
network; I may be able to see them in the morning, but then they will
mysteriously disappear.

I can boot into the Vista partition on the same laptop and everything
is fine.

I understand that this is a common compatibility problem with Win 7.

It seems that it's related to "Link Layer Topology Discovery" and
there is a fix on the Microsoft download site (http://
www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en).
Before I install this on the XP machines, can anyone tell me whether
there is any other fix besides this?

Thanks,
Joe Parsons
From: Bob Lin (MS-MVP) on
Yes, please install LLTD first. It could 3 rd party security software too.
This post may help too: Windows Vista or 7 doesn't display Windows XP -
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8494&p=13473#p13473

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

From: jmparsons3 on
On Dec 12, 1:57 pm, "Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)" <nore...(a)chicagotech.net>
wrote:
> Yes, please install LLTD first. It could 3 rd party security software too..
> This post may help too: Windows Vista or 7 doesn't display Windows XP -http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8494&p=13473....
>
> --
> Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
> "jmparsons3" <jmparso...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have installed Win7 into a fresh partition on my laptop. Much of the
> > time I am no longer able to see h XP machines on my office wireless
> > network; I may be able to see them in the morning, but then they will
> > mysteriously disappear.
>
> > I can boot into the Vista partition on the same laptop and everything
> > is fine.
>
> > I understand that this is a common compatibility problem with Win 7.
>
> > It seems that it's related to "Link Layer Topology Discovery" and
> > there is a fix on the Microsoft download site (http://
> >www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-....).
> > Before I install this on the XP machines, can anyone tell me whether
> > there is any other fix besides this?
>
> > Thanks,
> > Joe Parsons- Hide quoted text -

It looks like that did the trick. There are two different patches
available--one for XP SP2 and another for XP SP3. Both seem to work
okay; when I installed them on the XP machines.both miraculously
appeared on my Win 7 machine.

Thanks for your responses.

Joe Parsons
From: Bob Lin (MS-MVP) on