From: John on
Is there a way to check if a www site is Perl compatible without username &
password?

I sometimes get request to do some small perl problem on a www page but the owner
does not know if their www has perl.
From: Peter Makholm on
John <John.Smith(a)invalid.com> writes:

> Is there a way to check if a www site is Perl compatible without username &
> password?

How do you define "a www site is Perl compatible"?

//Makholm
From: RedGrittyBrick on
On 20/05/2010 09:56, John wrote:
> Is there a way to check if a www site is Perl compatible without username&
> password?

I find your question hard to understand!

Are you asking how to determine if a server, which hosts a web-site, has
perl available?

If the server is provided by a hosting comany you can inspect their
sales or support information or ask their support staff.

If it is a Unix or Linux server, which you can often tell from the HTTP
headers it returns, it most likely has perl.

If you have shell access you can verify this by attempting to invoke perl.

If you have file-upload access to a CGI folder/directory and to the
HTTP-server's error logs, you can upload perl scripts with various
shebang lines and see what sort of errors are logged.

> I sometimes get request to do some small perl problem on a www page but the owner
> does not know if their www has perl.

I find this hard to understand. If the owner has a perl problem don't
they have perl by definition? Unless the problem is that they don't in
which case your question is self answering.

Are you saying that the owner asked you to help with a problem, for
which you decided perl could be used to provide (part of) a solution?

--
RGB
From: John on
RedGrittyBrick <RedGrittyBrick(a)spamweary.invalid> wrote:

>On 20/05/2010 09:56, John wrote:
>> Is there a way to check if a www site is Perl compatible without username&
>> password?
>
>I find your question hard to understand!
>
>Are you asking how to determine if a server, which hosts a web-site, has
>perl available?
>
>If the server is provided by a hosting comany you can inspect their
>sales or support information or ask their support staff.
>
>If it is a Unix or Linux server, which you can often tell from the HTTP
>headers it returns, it most likely has perl.
>
>If you have shell access you can verify this by attempting to invoke perl.
>
>If you have file-upload access to a CGI folder/directory and to the
>HTTP-server's error logs, you can upload perl scripts with various
>shebang lines and see what sort of errors are logged.
>

>> I sometimes get request to do some small perl problem on a www page but the owner
>> does not know if their www has perl.
>
>I find this hard to understand. If the owner has a perl problem don't
>they have perl by definition? Unless the problem is that they don't in
>which case your question is self answering.
>
>Are you saying that the owner asked you to help with a problem, for
>which you decided perl could be used to provide (part of) a solution?

Sorry about the type "problem" should have been "program".

Let me clarify what I mean. Lets say client likes my counter.pl which runs on my
own www page. He calls be and says "I'd like to have your counter on my own www
site?". To which I answer: "Sure. Can you run perl scripts on your www page?". At
this point the client answers "Huh? What's a script and what is perl?".
Usually I ask the client to send me his/her ftp username & password so I can
check out myself. Unfortunately many don't know them. They can of course find
them by contacting their provider etc. Without going to lot of work on finding
out in the end that they can only run ASP my question is that is there a way to
find out if they can run perl on their site somehow?
From: Ben Morrow on

Quoth John.Smith(a)invalid.com:

> Sorry about the type "problem" should have been "program".
>
> Let me clarify what I mean. Lets say client likes my counter.pl which runs on my
> own www page. He calls be and says "I'd like to have your counter on my own www
> site?". To which I answer: "Sure. Can you run perl scripts on your www
> page?". At
> this point the client answers "Huh? What's a script and what is perl?".
> Usually I ask the client to send me his/her ftp username & password so I can
> check out myself. Unfortunately many don't know them. They can of course find
> them by contacting their provider etc. Without going to lot of work on finding
> out in the end that they can only run ASP my question is that is there a way to
> find out if they can run perl on their site somehow?

As RGB said, about the only thing you can do is check the headers. If
there's a header like

Server: Apache/2.2.14 (Unix) mod_perl/2.0.4

then they probably do support perl (the important bit there is the
'mod_perl', btw). If not, then they *still* probably do support perl
(most hosting providers do, in some form, though the support is often
rather minimal) but you can't tell without asking them.

Ben