From: Mark B on
How do I programmatically copy SpecialNote.txt from my VB.NET app's project
resources to C:\Notes\ on user's PC at runtime?

From: Family Tree Mike on
On 5/30/2010 10:59 PM, Mark B wrote:
> How do I programmatically copy SpecialNote.txt from my VB.NET app's
> project resources to C:\Notes\ on user's PC at runtime?

Why did you ask this here and in the C# group, with a slight modification?

--
Mike
From: Mark B on
Dim myEncoding As New System.Text.ASCIIEncoding()
System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes(myXMLFileLocation,
myEncoding.GetBytes(Properties.Resources.AddinUserSettingsXML))

From: Phill W. on
On 31/05/2010 03:59, Mark B wrote:
> How do I programmatically copy SpecialNote.txt from my VB.NET app's
> project resources to C:\Notes\ on user's PC at runtime?

Have you made this directory writeable by /every/ user?
If not, UAC will get in the way on Vista and Windows 7 - directories
outside the user's own hive are usually read-only.

Do you overwrite the file every time your application runs, or only to
first create it?

Why do you need to copy it there anyway?
Do you need to "feed" it to some other program?
If you're only using it within your own code, you can probably find a
way to use the text in the Resource object directly.

HTH,
Phill W.