From: James on
In a nutshell, all my problems and error messages point to this item
being corrupted. Is there a way of fixing it without having to
download some mysterious scan-and-fix tool? (The net is littered with
coaxes to do so!) If it means altering the registry, then I'm fine
with that. I've edited it before without incident, and am very
careful!

Grateful for any tips!

Thanks.

From: DL on
You have scanned your PC for virus & mallaware?

From: James on
Yes, by several tried and trusty programs I've used over the past few
years.

From: Daave on
James wrote:
> In a nutshell, all my problems and error messages point to this item
> being corrupted. Is there a way of fixing it without having to
> download some mysterious scan-and-fix tool? (The net is littered with
> coaxes to do so!) If it means altering the registry, then I'm fine
> with that. I've edited it before without incident, and am very
> careful!
>
> Grateful for any tips!

You need to provide a lot more information!

Be very specific in describing your particular problem in your next
post. Mention every detail you can think of. Include the comple text of
all error messages you received. You could either have a problem with
that particular file or you could have malware. (Or both.)

What antimalware programs do you regularly run? Are they regularly
updated? Do you have SP3 installed *and* all the subsequent security
patches installed as well?

For the time being, here is some reading material:

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/lsassexe_system_error_every_time_i_boot_windows.html

http://ask-leo.com/what_are_lsass_lsassexe_and_sasser_and_how_do_i_know_if_im_infected_what_do_i_do_if_i_am.html

From: James on
The problems are all to do with forms entry, entering username and
password on about 6 different applications. Other password things work
ok (e.g. Outlook Express, local intranet things) but of course they
use different security algorithms, so no surprise there. Nothing at
all to do with booting up.

The message box about M/soft having an unexpected error and do you
want to send a report blah blah, is the standard M/Soft one I've seen
hundreds of times, and which offers no specific codes or anything.

I didn't arrive at "lsass" lightly. Hours of internet surfing found
instances of people having the same problem, and all their responses
were of the "lsass is corrupted" ilk..... only nobody could offer a
solution that didn't mention "Try OUR scan program!"

The main program I use is SuperAntiSpyware (updated weekly), and as
that didn't find anything amiss, I fear it's something a bit special.
It's getting to the point where I'm thinking of just reloading WXP
(with SP3).

James