From: Kiers on
Hi All,

i have an application running on a customer site, where the backend is
stored on a 'hidden' network share. The users connect via their own
FE's which (which is not stored on the local PC but presented by a
login profile (each user does have their own discrete copy of the the
FE). The attributes of the FE module had been updated to 'read-
only' (the sys admin is not expalining how...). This change resulted
in the following message appearing;

"Read-Only This database has been opened read-only. You can only
change data in linked tables. To make changes, save a copy of the
database"

The customer is non too pleased as he sees this as a security breach,
especially having gone to the trouble of creating hidden drives
(regardless of how weak this actually is). Is there a way that i can
trap this message and replace it with my own - which will not include
the copy option? Failing that, can i just surpress the message?

it is A2007, with a runtime FE - thought the same happens on my
machine with the full version.

Thanks for time

Kiers
From: Tony Toews on
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 12:30:01 -0700 (PDT), Kiers
<kieran(a)leasemanager.co.uk> wrote:

>i have an application running on a customer site, where the backend is
>stored on a 'hidden' network share. The users connect via their own
>FE's which (which is not stored on the local PC but presented by a
>login profile (each user does have their own discrete copy of the the
>FE). The attributes of the FE module had been updated to 'read-
>only' (the sys admin is not expalining how...). This change resulted
>in the following message appearing;
>
>"Read-Only This database has been opened read-only. You can only
>change data in linked tables. To make changes, save a copy of the
>database"
>
>The customer is non too pleased as he sees this as a security breach,
>especially having gone to the trouble of creating hidden drives
>(regardless of how weak this actually is). Is there a way that i can
>trap this message and replace it with my own - which will not include
>the copy option? Failing that, can i just surpress the message?

No, you cn't replace or suppress this message as this is happening
before any of your code executes. You can confirm this by putting in
a msgbox as the first item in your startup procedure be it a form or
the autoexec macro.

Yes, he can fix this by making the client FE non read only. Access is
not like an EXE in this respect. It does make some minor changes to
the FE database file such as saving query plans or updating form
filters.

Undoubtedly this isn't the answer he is looking for. However it is
the answer.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Kiers on
On 6 July, 00:54, Tony Toews <tto...(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 12:30:01 -0700 (PDT), Kiers
>

> <kie...(a)leasemanager.co.uk> wrote:
> >i have an application running on a customer site, where the backend is
> >stored on a 'hidden' network share. The users connect via their own
> >FE's which (which is not stored on the local PC but presented by a
> >login profile (each user does have their own discrete copy of the the
> >FE). The attributes of the FE module had been updated to 'read-
> >only' (the sys admin is not expalining how...). This change resulted
> >in the following message appearing;
>
> >"Read-Only  This database has been opened read-only. You can only
> >change data in linked tables. To make changes, save a copy of the
> >database"
>
> >The customer is non too pleased as he sees this as a security breach,
> >especially having gone to the trouble of creating hidden drives
> >(regardless of how weak this actually is). Is there a way that i can
> >trap this message and replace it with my own - which will not include
> >the copy option? Failing that, can i just surpress the message?
>
> No, you cn't replace or suppress this message as this is happening
> before any of your code executes.  You can confirm this by putting in
> a msgbox as the first item in your startup procedure be it a form or
> the autoexec macro.
>
> Yes, he can fix this by making the client FE non read only.  Access is
> not like an EXE in this respect.  It does make some minor changes to
> the FE database file such as saving query plans or updating form
> filters.
>
> Undoubtedly this isn't the answer he is looking for.   However it is
> the answer.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> Tony's Main MS Access pages -http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> Tony's Microsoft Access Blog -http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
> For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
>   updated seehttp://www.autofeupdater.com/- Hide quoted text -

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the confirmation.

Is it possible to write code for the startup procedure that performs
the same check - i.e. has the d/base opened as Read-Only? If it is,
then it would be possible to produce my own msg "Error - Database
opened in Read-Only. Contact Sys Admin" and then exit the application.

A little clunky perhaps, but it would prevent the user taking their
own copy of the database.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks Kiers

From: Kiers on
On 6 July, 08:43, Kiers <kie...(a)leasemanager.co.uk> wrote:
> On 6 July, 00:54, Tony Toews <tto...(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 12:30:01 -0700 (PDT), Kiers
>
> > <kie...(a)leasemanager.co.uk> wrote:
> > >i have an application running on a customer site, where the backend is
> > >stored on a 'hidden' network share. The users connect via their own
> > >FE's which (which is not stored on the local PC but presented by a
> > >login profile (each user does have their own discrete copy of the the
> > >FE). The attributes of the FE module had been updated to 'read-
> > >only' (the sys admin is not expalining how...). This change resulted
> > >in the following message appearing;
>
> > >"Read-Only  This database has been opened read-only. You can only
> > >change data in linked tables. To make changes, save a copy of the
> > >database"
>
> > >The customer is non too pleased as he sees this as a security breach,
> > >especially having gone to the trouble of creating hidden drives
> > >(regardless of how weak this actually is). Is there a way that i can
> > >trap this message and replace it with my own - which will not include
> > >the copy option? Failing that, can i just surpress the message?
>
> > No, you cn't replace or suppress this message as this is happening
> > before any of your code executes.  You can confirm this by putting in
> > a msgbox as the first item in your startup procedure be it a form or
> > the autoexec macro.
>
> > Yes, he can fix this by making the client FE non read only.  Access is
> > not like an EXE in this respect.  It does make some minor changes to
> > the FE database file such as saving query plans or updating form
> > filters.
>
> > Undoubtedly this isn't the answer he is looking for.   However it is
> > the answer.
>
> > Tony
> > --
> > Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> > Tony's Main MS Access pages -http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> > Tony's Microsoft Access Blog -http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
> > For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
> >   updated seehttp://www.autofeupdater.com/-Hide quoted text -

> Hi Tony,
>
> Thanks for the confirmation.
>
> Is it possible to write code for the startup procedure that performs
> the same check - i.e. has the d/base opened as Read-Only? If it is,
> then it would be possible to produce my own msg "Error - Database
> opened in Read-Only. Contact Sys Admin" and then exit the application.
>
> A little clunky perhaps, but it would prevent the user taking their
> own copy of the database.
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks Kiers- Hide quoted text -

Hi All,

i guess i am answering my own question;

as part of the startup process, the code attempts to create a
temporary table in the FE, if it fails with error 3370, then it has
opened read-only and i can display my own message and quit the app. if
the table is created, i delete it and carry on.

There are probably better ways, but it seems to work.

Rgds

Kiers
From: Tony Toews on
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 06:48:31 -0700 (PDT), Kiers
<kieran(a)leasemanager.co.uk> wrote:

>as part of the startup process, the code attempts to create a
>temporary table in the FE, if it fails with error 3370, then it has
>opened read-only and i can display my own message and quit the app. if
>the table is created, i delete it and carry on.
>
>There are probably better ways, but it seems to work.

Yes, that would work. I do similar things when vaildating that a BE
MDB is the correct BE for my application. That is I open a recordset
against a table unque to my backend. If it fails then there's a
problem.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP