From: Leythos on
In article <dk3i165hco2s2p4k9cfqkg15acumd2h2cl(a)4ax.com>,
manthonyferrante(a)yahoo.com says...

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 07:15:41 -0400, Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <51ng16d8fsqpf0lcph0org1oif4thnupff(a)4ax.com>,
> >manthonyferrante(a)yahoo.com says...
> >>
> >> I am using the firewall that comes with XP. However, recently I
> >> downloaded the free version of Zone Alarm. Is ZA really necessary and
> >> if so, how is it compared to other ones you might suggest in place of
> >> it.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mark
> >
> >If you have a NAT router and Windows Firewall, if you don't run as a
> >local administrator, you don't need a third party firewall application.
>
> I am using a D-Link DI-524 router (wired, no wireless turned on as far
> as I know) and the windows firewall. So, I should just go ahead and
> uninstall the ZA?

I sit behind a real firewall, not a router pretending to be a firewall
(like most of those from D-Link, Linksys, NetGear), and don't use any
third party firewall applications - when I travel I just make sure that
the computers are fully patched, don't have file/printer sharing
enabled, that all exceptions are removed from the windows firewall
settings, etc...

> This may sound stupid, but how can I tell if I am running as the local
> administrator? And if I am, what should I do to fix things to ensure
> the most security on my computer please?

In the control panel, open Administrator Tools, select EVENT VIEWER, if
you can open the SECURITY Section then you're an admin, if it is denied
access then you're a limited user.

Also, if you installed/setup Windows and you didn't create a limited
account, the first account is always an Administrator level account, and
you need to make sure you keep at least one Admin account, you create an
additional one to use for normal functions.

Trust yourself.
From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers on
FERRANTE <manthonyferrante(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> This may sound stupid, but how can I tell if I am running as the local
> administrator?

Open a command prompt and run "net user %USERNAME%". If "Administrators"
is listed under local group memberships, you're a local administrator.

cu
59cobalt
--Mark Russinovich