From: FERRANTE on
I am using the firewall that comes with XP. However, recently I
downloaded the free version of Zone Alarm. Is ZA really necessary and
if so, how is it compared to other ones you might suggest in place of
it.

Thanks,
Mark
From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers on
FERRANTE <manthonyferrante(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am using the firewall that comes with XP. However, recently I
> downloaded the free version of Zone Alarm. Is ZA really necessary

No.

> and if so, how is it compared to other ones you might suggest in place
> of it.

It's on the system anyway, it focuses on what a firewall can do
reliably, and it's had far less bugs in the past than ZA and the likes.

cu
59cobalt
--Mark Russinovich
From: Sr Peabody on
"Erik Vastmasd" <erik.vastm(a)sd.invalid> escribi� en el mensaje
>I caught a glimpse of FERRANTE <manthonyferrante(a)yahoo.com> on Wed, 16
> Jun 2010 00:09:19 -0500, writing in comp.security.firewalls:
>
>>I am using the firewall that comes with XP. However, recently I
>>downloaded the free version of Zone Alarm. Is ZA really necessary and
>>if so, how is it compared to other ones you might suggest in place of
>>it.
>
> I think a decent firewall & anti virus program is important.
> If you are still using Zone Alarm you shouldn't run the XP firewall.
>
> In the morning before my shower and breakfast, I update the following
> free programs and have them scan my computers.
>
> Ad-Aware.
> Spybot.
> Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
>
> Also I get the free SpywareBlaster to check for updates.
>
> I'm currently running Sunbelt software which I'm happy with.
> http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/
>
> Another excellent product is:
> http://www.eset.com/
> --
>
> Erik

Read and choose...

1. Antivirus software
http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests
2. Firewall
http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php#products-ratings

Saludos,

--
Sr Peabody

From: Leythos on
In article <51ng16d8fsqpf0lcph0org1oif4thnupff(a)4ax.com>,
manthonyferrante(a)yahoo.com says...

> I am using the firewall that comes with XP. However, recently I
> downloaded the free version of Zone Alarm. Is ZA really necessary and
> if so, how is it compared to other ones you might suggest in place of
> it.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

If you have a NAT router and Windows Firewall, if you don't run as a
local administrator, you don't need a third party firewall application.

Trust yourself.
From: FERRANTE on
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 07:15:41 -0400, Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com>
wrote:

>In article <51ng16d8fsqpf0lcph0org1oif4thnupff(a)4ax.com>,
>manthonyferrante(a)yahoo.com says...
>>
>> I am using the firewall that comes with XP. However, recently I
>> downloaded the free version of Zone Alarm. Is ZA really necessary and
>> if so, how is it compared to other ones you might suggest in place of
>> it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>
>If you have a NAT router and Windows Firewall, if you don't run as a
>local administrator, you don't need a third party firewall application.

I am using a D-Link DI-524 router (wired, no wireless turned on as far
as I know) and the windows firewall. So, I should just go ahead and
uninstall the ZA?

This may sound stupid, but how can I tell if I am running as the local
administrator? And if I am, what should I do to fix things to ensure
the most security on my computer please?

Thanks in advance to EVERYONE for your help,
Mark