From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 16:07:44 -0700, Mike Russell wrote:

>> That's not such a slow system. How much memory do you have? If it's
>> less than 2 gigs, that's probably the bottleneck. Memory is cheap.

> Doubtful. It shouldn't take 2gb memory to convert a 12mp image!

Vista alone uses 2GB, for example ... and the rest of the
system needs RAM as well.

-Wolfgang
From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
Alfred Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> In article <grpv061jjnkl35tuhtguvc3ouptplvur60(a)4ax.com>, Mark F says...

>> My machine is pretty old (Pentium 4, 2.40GHZ)

>> It takes a minute or two of CPU time to convert a Fujifilm FinePix
>> S100fs RAF file to JPG taking "default" conversion parameters.

> How about buying a new computer, very cheap these days?

Just buying a bigger hammer won't get screws better into the wall.
Nor will buying a newer camera make someone who can't frame a
shot a better photographer.

It's wise to ask first if the conversion step is unusually slow
and maybe use a faster converter instead of a faster computer,
if said converter is the cause.

-Wolfgang
From: ray on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 23:54:34 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

> ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 16:07:44 -0700, Mike Russell wrote:
>
>>> That's not such a slow system. How much memory do you have? If it's
>>> less than 2 gigs, that's probably the bottleneck. Memory is cheap.
>
>> Doubtful. It shouldn't take 2gb memory to convert a 12mp image!
>
> Vista alone uses 2GB, for example ... and the rest of the system needs
> RAM as well.
>
> -Wolfgang

Many users are more intelligent than that.