From: John H Meyers on
Re: http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/pc/emulators/grokwikreal48gx.zip
(in which, by the way, there is no password-protected content)

On 6/2/2010 6:44 AM, PixelOz wrote:

> It is the first .zip archive that 7-zip cannot open in my PC
> so I'm pretty happy with 7-Zip anyway.

I've found one single way to make WinZip complain
about the file downloaded from the link above,
by trying to delete files from the archive, whereupon:

"Warning: the number of entries (1) in the central directory
does not match the number of entries found (7)"

So I ran pkzipfix.exe (anyone remember that?) on it
(after shortening the zip file name to "grok.zip")
and got a "pkfixed.zip" file that even satisfies 7-Zip,
which I will separately email to you.

As to 7-Zip, note that it simply gives up, where other programs say
"when the going gets tough, the tough get going" :)

HP calculators were also once built to keep on going,
but that was when they were made to last,
for professionals willing to pay for something worth keeping
(and for Bill Hewlett, who wouldn't let anything less even be made)

[r->] [OFF]
From: PixelOz on
Got it! Downloaded this very little sucker called Pocket UnZip from
Softpedia and it doesn't require an install, it is a very small
program and one of those that can run stand alone by double clicking
the .exe.

Tried it with that one and it worked! Yeaaaaah finally! So now I will
have Peazip and this other one as portable (stand alone) alternate
unzippers for those times when a zip file wont budge.

He did a great job, it is pretty good and very similar to what I did
and he used very high quality images for it, probably from some qood
quality scans. I didn't have that but with the photo that I had I was
able to do one that was pretty good too.

Actually those that he did for the Gx work better than the one that
he did for the Sx cause that one has the buttons sort of misaligned
with the script and when you press them them some of them got the
graphics a bit screw up, in this other ones he did a much better job.

Mine works very good too. I had fun doing it anyway. I don't know, it
could be uploaded too to the archive if anybody is interested.
Somebody may want this one that I did instead but the difference is
not that big, now, the zip file will work for sure for those that have
7zip cause it was made with it. I also included an 256 x 256 pixel
icon that I did with the zip file similar to what he did. Great! :)
From: PixelOz on
Their calculators are pretty good. I didn't have one, my younger
brother did when he was in college, It was a 48G or Gx but I'm not
sure which one of the two.

I helped him to buy it and I remember how great a calculator it was
cause it was more like a small programmable computer than a
calculator, that's how sophisticated the darned thing was and when I
saw people actually programming games and much more with it I knew
that it was something else. I remember fooling around with it and I
was very impressed with all that it could do, terrific tools.

Unfortunately his was short lived cause he threw his backpack too hard
once and broke the screen. boo hoo :( I don't know what he did with it
after that.

No wonder these machines have such a big fan following, they are such
great tools for engineers and other people. I know that they are very
respected in many universities and that many engineering students
preferred them. No wonder!

As a less important thing the style of the 48Gx was my favorite. I
always though that those were the niftier looking of them but that was
my personal preference and that is why I was doing the skin and I love
how it looks. :)

From: John H Meyers on

On 6/2/2010 7:25 AM, I wrote:

> So I ran pkzipfix.exe (anyone remember that?) on it
> (after shortening the zip file name to "grok.zip")
> and got a "pkfixed.zip" file that even satisfies 7-Zip,
> which I will separately email to you.

It turns out that there is a ONE BYTE difference
between the "fixed" and original file:

fc/b grokwikreal48gx.fixed.zip grokwikreal48gx.original.zip
0016C9B8: 07 01

Which is at decimal offset 1,493,432 (in the zip "Central Directory")
in a file of total size 1,493,446 bytes.

> He did a great job, it is pretty good and very similar to what I did...

At last, back to the original subject,
having vaulted over the grain of sand that stood in the way :)

[r->] [OFF]
From: PixelOz on
Anyway I posted the file, you can download the mod with many other of
my free things here:

http://pixeloz.deviantart.com/

Also here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=bef98dda6119ec7a1bee9a6e9edd9c763226eac23d9aef9ab8eada0a1ae8665a

There in Mediafire is in the folder called Mods. :)