From: adacrypt on
On Jul 12, 7:49 am, adacrypt <austin.oby...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 11, 7:46 pm, WTShaw <lure...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Why would you think there is only one attack profile from
> > > <who_cares_***>_ware?
>
> > > For example, look at:http://www.eskimo.com/~joelm/tempest.html
>
> > > If it is electronic (or otherwise), it is vulnerable as the number of
> > > attack profiles is limitless and one only needs to get passed the
> > > weakest link.
>
> > > Forgive my theft of Einstein's quote with a slight modification.
>
> > > "It's not only worse than you imagine, it's worse than you can
> > > imagine! "
>
> > > Cyber warfare can be equated to the war on drugs - what a joke - but
> > > it makes for great articles, journal and research papers.
>
> > There are simple strategies that work.  Bad design can be countered
> > with good protocols to isolate the weaknesses, not talking about
> > endless patches but the absurd use of common sense to do the obvious.
> > "The path to ruin is well trodden."- Hide quoted text -

> Hi W.T,
>
> This topic is outside of my remit and indeed my knowledge in the
> context of mutual database cryptography - however, I have in mind a
> free standing computer at Bob's end i.e. not connected to the internet
> - the ciphertext is transmitted via a properly connected computer and
> then relayed internally by Bob to this freestanding computer where it
> is decrypted - a cyber attack on the freestanding computer is
> impossible ? - adacrypt- Hide quoted text -

PS - forgot to say the obvious - Bob's database resides on the
freestanding computer only - adacrypt
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
adacrypt wrote:
>> - a cyber attack on the freestanding computer is
>> impossible ?

Long time ago yes, but no longer. Look with the key phrase
"electromagnetic emanation". There are also techniques to
disrupt the proper functioning of a computer.

M. K. Shen
From: adacrypt on
On Jul 12, 10:15 am, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> adacrypt wrote:
> >>  - a cyber attack on the freestanding computer is
> >> impossible ?
>
> Long time ago yes, but no longer. Look with the key phrase
> "electromagnetic emanation". There are also techniques to
> disrupt the proper functioning of a computer.
>
> M. K. Shen

OK I'll rephrase my statement - an inverting cryptanalytic attack on
intercepted ciphertext is impossible without access to the related
database that is contained on a free-standing computer - your'e a bit
OTT - adacrypt
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
adacrypt wrote:

>> Long time ago yes, but no longer. Look with the key phrase
>> "electromagnetic emanation". There are also techniques to
>> disrupt the proper functioning of a computer.

> OK I'll rephrase my statement - an inverting cryptanalytic attack on
> intercepted ciphertext is impossible without access to the related
> database that is contained on a free-standing computer - your'e a bit
> OTT - adacrypt

That's a different sentence. I am incapable of commenting on that,
since I don't understand what you have described about your algorithm
in your posts to the group todate and have the (maybe wrong) impression
that few have understood that. IMHO it would be of value to you to once
'concisely' and 'clearly' formulate your algorithm in a thread, using,
where required, conventional math formalism and standard terminologies
in a neat way (and avoid terminologies of your own) so that people
would easily capture the underlying ideas. Otherwise others would for
time reasons not take the effort to closely examine your stuff, I am
afraid.

M. K. Shen

From: unruh on
On 2010-07-12, adacrypt <austin.obyrne(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 11, 7:46?pm, WTShaw <lure...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Why would you think there is only one attack profile from
>> > <who_cares_***>_ware?
>>
>> > For example, look at:http://www.eskimo.com/~joelm/tempest.html
>>
>> > If it is electronic (or otherwise), it is vulnerable as the number of
>> > attack profiles is limitless and one only needs to get passed the
>> > weakest link.
>>
>> > Forgive my theft of Einstein's quote with a slight modification.
>>
>> > "It's not only worse than you imagine, it's worse than you can
>> > imagine! "
>>
>> > Cyber warfare can be equated to the war on drugs - what a joke - but
>> > it makes for great articles, journal and research papers.
>>
>> There are simple strategies that work. ?Bad design can be countered
>> with good protocols to isolate the weaknesses, not talking about
>> endless patches but the absurd use of common sense to do the obvious.
>> "The path to ruin is well trodden."- Hide quoted text -

> Hi W.T,
>
> This topic is outside of my remit and indeed my knowledge in the
> context of mutual database cryptography - however, I have in mind a
> free standing computer at Bob's end i.e. not connected to the internet
> - the ciphertext is transmitted via a properly connected computer and
> then relayed internally by Bob to this freestanding computer where it
> is decrypted - a cyber attack on the freestanding computer is
> impossible ? - adacrypt

What does "relayed internally" mean? An attack is possible via that
"internal relay". Also trojan, virus, ... attacks are all possible via
that "internal relay"