From: WTShaw on
On Jul 13, 2:34 am, gordonb.k6...(a)burditt.org (Gordon Burditt) wrote:
> >This topic is outside of my remit and indeed my knowledge in the
> >context of mutual database cryptography - however, I have in mind a
> >free standing computer at Bob's end i.e. not connected to the internet
> >- the ciphertext is transmitted via a properly connected computer and
> >then relayed internally by Bob to this freestanding computer where it
> >is decrypted - a cyber attack on the freestanding computer is
> >impossible ? - adacrypt
>
> Viruses being transmitted by "sneakernet" (hand-carried media such
> as floppy disks) were pretty well known in the old days of MS-DOS.
> Nowadays, USB memory sticks can also transmit viruses.
>
> If you really want a ("freestanding") system secure, maintain a
> good air gap (say, 10 feet) between the system and any outside
> connections
>         - Ethernet, phone, or wireless connections
>         - Any radio or infrared communication links such as Wi-Fi,
>           Bluetooth, wireless keyboards, cell phones, etc.
>         - Commercial power.  Use batteries and solar cells or
>           muscle power of the guy operating it.
>         - Any media that's been touched by an outside computer
>           (includes floppies, USB memory sticks, CD/DVD disks,
>           recordable or not, tape, paper tape, punch cards, etc..
>           I guess this means you pretty much have to build these
>           yourself or do without, although you could perhaps risk
>           bulk-erasing floppies, then formatting them and using
>           them on the secure system.)
>         - Preferably you put the whole thing inside a Faraday cage
>           to limit electromagnetic radition from sending info in or out.
>
> I am not sure whether it is safe to use a digital camera inside
> your locked room to take a picture of the screen of the internet-connected
> computer 10 feet away, then have the inside computer OCR it.  I
> doubt it.

Quickly, advantages of hand written courier delivered dispatches seem
to have returned, if you can trust the courier. Older computers can
still have use if maintained as their RF profiles are easier to
shield, and as obsolete as above, hand entered data seems to fly well
in these obscure scenarios...Remember Rosie?
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
[snip]
> BTW, a recent article on cyber warfare could serve also for looking at
> the matter from a different standpoint:
>
> http://www.economist.com/node/16478792

Schneier has in his CRYPTO-GRAM, July 15, an article entitled "The
Threat of Cyberwar Has Been Grossly Exaggerated". Of course, there are
naturally different opinions on the same issue. For common owners of
PC anyway I think that it does well to be 'constantly' conscious of
the insecurity of his computer.

M. K. Shen
From: Mok-Kong Shen on

Another article about cyber warfare is:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704545004575352983850463108.html

I personally find the project name 'Perfect Citizen' quite
interesting. Yes, we citizens all over the world will soon be
entirely 'perfect'!

M. K. Shen

For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall
have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken
away even that which he hath.

St. Matthew 25/29

From: Mok-Kong Shen on

Yet another URL:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9179215/Some_experts_question_efforts_to_identify_cyberattackers?taxonomyId=17&pageNumber=2

BTW, what is the current status of countering the botnet? Has that
serious problem been satisfactorily solved?

M. K. Shen

From: Mok-Kong Shen on

Yet another article concerning cyber warfare and cyber peace:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/16/AR2010071605882.html?sub=AR

I wonder how could the officials involved be ignorant of the
trivial fact that malware could be done by single hackers requiring
no government-'control-able' resources besides paper and pencils.

M. K. Shen