From: Caryl on
On Jul 8, 9:03 am, "Keith Snyder" <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> But I can't find the spinoff wizard! I'm using Quicken 2010, and I can't
> find it!
>
> How do I get to the wizard?

Keith,

Since no one has responded to this yet, I will, although I use Quicken
2008, not 2010, and since I misinformed you earlier about how to
handle the Verizon spin-off I am not sure you should take my advice!

If Q2010 works the same as Q2008 on this, on the Investing Register
hit Enter Transactions and in the next window use the drop-down arrow
at the top to find Corporate Securities Spin-off. That will bring you
to the spin-off wizard.

Caryl
From: Keith Snyder on
Thanks. That does the trick.

From: Keith Snyder on
I want to thank everybody for their help and pointers. I think you proved
that
the only stupid question is the unasked question.

I'm now researching the same thing for GnuCash which doesn't have any such
nice wizards.

From: Andrew on
R. C. White wrote:
> Hi, Andrew.
>
> Thanks for that link! I had seen the site mentioned somewhere but
> had not checked on it. A quick look makes me optimistic that it will
> be very useful to many investors.
>
> The calculator for FTR looks right (and they spelled Communications
> correctly on the drop-down list). They might need to provide more
> decimal precision, especially for large shareholdings. I plugged in
> sample numbers of 1,000 shares of VZ purchased 1/10/10 for $20,000,
> then clicked Submit; the answers looked right to me. ;<)
>
> The home page for http://www.costbasis.com/ offers help for several
> other kinds of cost basis questions, such as for inherited stock,
> mergers and others. While I haven't checked out any but the Spinoff
> page, this should be a very useful site for many investors, including
> many who post such questions here.
>
> Thanks again, Andrew.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (Retired. No longer licensed to practice public accounting.)
> rc(a)grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Using Quicken Deluxe 2010 and Windows Live Mail in Win7 x64)
>
> "Andrew" wrote in message news:4c35bd58$0$4994$607ed4bc(a)cv.net...
>
> FWIW, in the Tax Forum NG, there's a discussion about cost basis, and
> one of the posters suggested this new site: www.costbasis.com , In
> the spinoffs section
> (http://www.costbasis.com/stockchanges/spinoffs.html), there's a line
> indicating a recent entry: "Frontier Comunications (FTR) simultaneous
> spinoff/merger from Verizon (VZ)". Although I didn't go there,
> supposedly there's a calculator on this site that is pre-filled in
> with information on this specific transaction.
>
> (PS: Since they can't get the spelling of 'Communications' correct
> (in the directly cut/pasted text above), already I'm a little
> concerned about their accuracy!)

Sure, np! I enjoyed, btw, your 7/7 9:54 PM on FMV, I must say. I didn't
realize it was that complicated....I should have guessed anytime the IRS
comes into the picture, it becomes so!

Regards -

- Andrew

From: Caryl on
On Jul 8, 8:47 am, "R. C. White" <r...(a)grandecom.net> wrote:
> Hi, Andrew.
>
> Thanks for that link!  I had seen the site mentioned somewhere but had not
> checked on it.  A quick look makes me optimistic that it will be very useful
> to many investors.

Andrew,

I also want to thank you for the costbasis.com link.

I deleted the spin- off transaction that I had already prepared and
did the wizard again with the numbers from the link's calculations.
When the transaction was finished, because of decimal points on the
amount of shares I own, the total dollar amount was not exactly the
same as the costbasis.com one, so I made sure that the number of
shares was correct and changed the total amount by a few tenths to
match the calculated one, not worrying about the price per share..

Hopefully now it is correct. I have had Verizon for some time
(inherited it in 1997 when it was Bell Atlantic) and have gone through
a split and a couple of other spin-offs. I am sure that I did not
record the other spin-offs correctly, but I am not going to worry
about that now!

Thanks again to you and R. C.

Caryl