From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
monir <monirg(a)rogers.com> wrote:
(snip)

> I looked at the G95 Manual (2007-1-1), and couldn't find any ref to
> "qp".

> Also, under "Key G95 Features" on page 2, it reads:
> ... REAL(KIND=10) for x86-compatible systems. 19 digits of precision,
> value range 10�4931

> But as I showed in my previous reply, kind=10 is associated with 18
> (not 19) decimal digits w g95.

It has a 64 bit significand, which works out to about 19.2 decimal
digits. But remember that it rounds up to the next higher kind.

Double is 53 bits, which comes out as about 15.954 decimal digits,
which some might round to 16, but not quite.

In any case, the temporary real format is the same from the Intel 8087
from about 1985 through current processors.

> Will re-examine more thoroughly in the morning.

-- glen
From: Richard Maine on
e p chandler <epc8(a)juno.com> wrote:

> I find it quite hard to believe
> that there is some soft of problem that has some basis in reality in
> the physical world where you really do need 80 digits.

I don't find it hard to believe. I've heard of such problems.

However...

It is also my observation that the large majority of people asking for
such precision are not actually working with the rare problems that
actually justify it, but instead are fruitlessly hoping that throwing
precision at their ill-formulated problem will solve it.

I'm sure that the problems that justify the usage exist. I just observe
that those real problems are far outnumbered by people clueless in th
ematter.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: mecej4 on
Richard Maine wrote:

> It is also my observation that the large majority of people asking for
> such precision are not actually working with the rare problems that
> actually justify it, but instead are fruitlessly hoping that throwing
> precision at their ill-formulated problem will solve it.
>
> I'm sure that the problems that justify the usage exist. I just observe
> that those real problems are far outnumbered by people clueless in th
> ematter.

We can go further and state an extension of what you said: If someone has to
ask on C.L.F. how to obtain "the highest precision regardless of any
ramifications that arise from...", that person probably is already off the
track. Somewhat similar to "If you need to ask the price of this yacht, you
cannot afford it."

Throughout this long thread I have not yet seen any statement of the context
where and why such precision is deemed necessary.

Someone with a real need for high precision hardware capability would
probably do better by first looking up the CPU specs, perhaps the CPUID
instruction (at least on X86/X64), /proc/cpuinfo (on Linux/Unix). Once the
CPU capabilities are known and deemed adequate one can look for a
compiler/library combination that supports those CPU capabilities that are
needed.

-- mecej4
From: Richard Maine on
mecej4 <mecej4.nyetspam(a)opFeramail.com> wrote:

> We can go further and state an extension of what you said: If someone has to
> ask on C.L.F. how to obtain "the highest precision regardless of any
> ramifications that arise from...", that person probably is already off the
> track. Somewhat similar to "If you need to ask the price of this yacht, you
> cannot afford it."

Yes. I had even thought about phrasing it somewhat along those lines.
:-)

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6