From: Jamie W on
Apologize in advance for length, but don't even know where to go from here.
Spent last 2 hours on Internet & computer trying to fix.

I was having an issue where Windows was running update & was interrupted,
causing computer to go into a virtual reboot situation. Got wonderful
advice, & was able to boot into computer using UBCD4Win disk.

I can now boot into the computer, and "see" all the files on my computer. I
now need to figure out how to "fix" it so I can boot into my XP without the
disk. Issues I've ran into so far:

1) found update for XP SP3 that can be downloaded - unfortunately when the
UBCD4 disk runs, it defaults everything to "install" into "X" drive, which
has no space & I continue to get errors that "not enough space to run this
program". I changed defaults in Registry, but requires reboot to maintain,
& the reboot makes it default back to "X" drive.

2) Tried to run restore from command line - error that SRRSTR.DLL can not
be found. Downloaded file, placed in Windows\system32 folder, (there was
already one there). Still tells me file is missing. All commands seem to
be looking for files in the "X" drive - don't know how to change that back.

3) Even though I can see all my files, I can not access my network. When I
use Control panel, most functions are not available (you click on "user
settings" for example & nothing happens or you get error that some file is
missing). Under network controls the screen is blank, so I am not able to
transfer files to another computer.

4) Computer is reading CD drive to boot from UBCD4 disk, but when putting
in empty disk to write files to, it does not allow. States disk needs to be
formatted, but when right clicking on drive icon, no option for format &
shows disk with zero bytes, but completely "full".

Any help with getting computer back up & running is appreciated. I don't
know what to attempt next. Thanks.

--
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure
Island, and, best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5253 (20100705) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: Daave on
Instead of copying data to a CD, try an external hard drive instead.
Once the data is copied, you might want to consider a Clean Install.

If you want to use UBCD4Win to repair your current Windows XP
installation instead, I suggest posting to this forum:

http://ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showforum=5

Also, this video might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMndA_ND9_A

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Always reply to your original thread, please:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/c9480865559dda36

There's an awful lot of "need to know" info there, Jamie.

From: dadiOH on
Jamie W wrote:
> Apologize in advance for length, but don't even know where to go from
> here. Spent last 2 hours on Internet & computer trying to fix.
>
> I was having an issue where Windows was running update & was
> interrupted, causing computer to go into a virtual reboot situation. Got
> wonderful advice, & was able to boot into computer using UBCD4Win
> disk.
> I can now boot into the computer, and "see" all the files on my
> computer. I now need to figure out how to "fix" it so I can boot
> into my XP without the disk.

How about...

XP install CD
Repair console
fixmbr

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

From: Daave on
dadiOH wrote:
> Jamie W wrote:
>> Apologize in advance for length, but don't even know where to go from
>> here. Spent last 2 hours on Internet & computer trying to fix.
>>
>> I was having an issue where Windows was running update & was
>> interrupted, causing computer to go into a virtual reboot situation.
>> Got wonderful advice, & was able to boot into computer using UBCD4Win
>> disk.
>> I can now boot into the computer, and "see" all the files on my
>> computer. I now need to figure out how to "fix" it so I can boot
>> into my XP without the disk.
>
> How about...
>
> XP install CD
> Repair console
> fixmbr
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true

Definitely worth a try. This page has a few more suggestions:

http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp/

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: files on desktop