From: jones on
Does having too many files and folders on the desktop i.e. scattered all
over, not in My Documents, slow the computer down?

Just curious.

Thank you
Katherine

From: Nil on
On 05 Jul 2010, "jones" <jones(a)nowhere.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Does having too many files and folders on the desktop i.e.
> scattered all over, not in My Documents, slow the computer down?

If they are on the Desktop, they are not "scattered all over", they are
right there on the Desktop.

And, no, it will not slow the computer down. It's just more cluttered
and less organized and may make it more difficult to find things when
you need them.
From: Big_Al on
Nil said this on 7/5/2010 10:07 PM:
> On 05 Jul 2010, "jones"<jones(a)nowhere.com> wrote in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>
>> Does having too many files and folders on the desktop i.e.
>> scattered all over, not in My Documents, slow the computer down?
>
> If they are on the Desktop, they are not "scattered all over", they are
> right there on the Desktop.
>
> And, no, it will not slow the computer down. It's just more cluttered
> and less organized and may make it more difficult to find things when
> you need them.

I might argue that every time Windows forces a refresh of the desktop
(you see your icons repaint) it is also having to repaint / refresh all
those 'scattered' desktop files.

I have no proof except 'just a feeling'.

From: Randem on
Yes it does. When your computer needs to refresh the desktop it has to scan
all those folders and files looking for the icons for them. You can also
increase the size of your icon cache to help with this.

--
The Top Inno Setup Script Generator - http://www.randem.com/innoscript.html
Free Utilities and Code - http://www.randem.com/freesoftutil.html

From: John John - MVP on
jones wrote:
> Does having too many files and folders on the desktop i.e. scattered all
> over, not in My Documents, slow the computer down?

No, it doesn't slow down the computer. As for the "refresh desktop"
issue that is really a non-issue on most computers in this day and age,
just hit the F5 key when you are at the Desktop and see for yourself how
much of a non-issue it really is, it (F5) wouldn't be much faster even
if you remove half of what you have on the desktop.

John