From: jones on
Thank you for your advice.

Where will I find the icon cache please?

Thanks again
Katherine

From: John John - MVP on
In your profile folder, enter this string in the Start Menu Run box and
you will be taken to the folder:

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data

If you find that the desktop refresh is slow this might help:

Icons randomly change to different icons
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q132668

In the article it says to delete the ShellIconCache file but there is no
such file on Windows XP.

This may also help:

Change the icon cache size in Windows XP Pro
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5164407.html

John

From: Nil on
On 05 Jul 2010, Big_Al <BigAl(a)name.invalid> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> I might argue that every time Windows forces a refresh of the
> desktop (you see your icons repaint) it is also having to repaint
> / refresh all those 'scattered' desktop files.
>
> I have no proof except 'just a feeling'.

I have no proof either - it would be a hard thing to measure - but I
don't think the computer hesitates in any significant way while the
icons are refreshing. It just keeps chugging along. The apparent
"slowdown" is visual only.
From: Twayne on
In news:4c328a14$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au,
jones <jones(a)nowhere.com> typed:
> Does having too many files and folders on the desktop i.e.
> scattered all over, not in My Documents, slow the computer
> down?
> Just curious.
>
> Thank you
> Katherine

Well, yes and no. Yes because every desktop icon has to be gotten from cache
and physically painted onto the screen at the mathematical positions
required. No because as a general rule the time added is going to be
negligible unless possibly you're making your own large icons. The Desktop
is actually just a folder that windows has been coded to display its
contents on the screen. It exists under your username under Documents and
Settings.

You can test it out for your specific situation by turning OFF the Desktop
Display and noticing how long it takes to paint the screen. To make a blank
desktop, right-click any open area on the desktop and choose "Arrange Icons
By". In the drop down that appears, remove the tic mark at "Show Desktop".
The desktop usually goes away right away. On some machines you might
have to log off and back on the get it to take affect.
To bring the desktop back so it displays, just put the tic back on "Show
Desktop" and all your icons will re-appear.

There ARE situations where the desktop icons can actually cause fairly long
and annoying pauses as each icon is painted! But that has nothing to do with
how many icons are on the desktop. To correct it, you need to do a refresh
of the icon cache. If you need more info on that, just ask or check with
Google or most any search engine.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: ~Mahler Mlle.~ on
Randem wrote:
>> Yes it does. When your computer needs to refresh the desktop it has
>> to scan all those folders and files looking for the icons for them.
>> You can also increase the size of your icon cache to help with this.

even if they are shortcuts?