From: Anonymous on
In article <875lj0F7e4U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

[snip]

>I kept my job and only did one
>or two more pranks before I moved on, and then grew up and lost my sense of
>humour... :-)

From http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Beyond_Good_and_Evil/Chapter_IV :

--begin quoted text:

The maturity of man--that means, to have reacquired the seriousness that
one had as a child at play.

--end quoted text

DD
From: Howard Brazee on
On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 13:24:45 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>My point would be that that can only happen if you let it. Making databases
>available is not the problem. Giving access to data is fine as long as you
>ensure that the people given the access are answerable for what they do,
>that you KNOW what they did (audit), and that you (and they...)can UNDO what
>they did as quickly and easily as they did it.

Who is the "you" above who has the power to do the above? Someone
on this forum?

- James Madison
From: Pete Dashwood on
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 13:24:45 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"
> <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> My point would be that that can only happen if you let it. Making
>> databases available is not the problem. Giving access to data is
>> fine as long as you ensure that the people given the access are
>> answerable for what they do, that you KNOW what they did (audit),
>> and that you (and they...)can UNDO what they did as quickly and
>> easily as they did it.
>
> Who is the "you" above who has the power to do the above? Someone
> on this forum?

Try substituting "one" for "who" if you feel more comfortable (it makes me
uncomfortable to use the impersonal pronoun). :-)

Yes, I have the power to do the above in my company. Sometimes that power
will be vested in a committee, sometimes in an individual, but ultimately,
someone has to be responsible.

If an IT professional realises that no-one is responsible for these things
in the organization where they work, then it would be unprofessional not to
point this out and get it addressed...

Sometimes, DBAs (good ones, at least...), absorb much of this into their
other duties.

Pete.