From: jatrojoomla on
Hi!
I had tried PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with
CentOS 5.
Downloaded from http://www.roaringpenguin.com/en/penguin/openSourceProducts/rpPppoe
It's a dual boot system with windows 2000 & CentOS, while internet
working with windows 2000 perfectly. from centOS it's not even
blinking of my MODEM ROUTER, WHICH I CONNECTED THROUGH RJ-45 LAN port.
I am listing the steps but any how I am not able to connect with
internet. Please show me path!

1. first I had test ifconfig eth0
>> OUTPUT comes like

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:14..................
inet6 addr:.........
UP BROADCAST..............

2. Then With
pppoe-setup
1. userneme : .............
2. Interface: eth0
3. demand value: 100000
4. DNS: server
5. passwd:
6. re-type passwd:
7. firewall: 0
8. Accept settings: y
9. pppoe-start

ping www.google.com or firefox access > www.google.com [not working]

From: ArameFarpado on
Em Segunda, 6 de Agosto de 2007 03:54, jatrojoomla escreveu:

> Hi!
> I had tried PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with
> CentOS 5.
> Downloaded from
> http://www.roaringpenguin.com/en/penguin/openSourceProducts/rpPppoe It's a
> dual boot system with windows 2000 & CentOS, while internet working with
> windows 2000 perfectly. from centOS it's not even blinking of my MODEM
> ROUTER, WHICH I CONNECTED THROUGH RJ-45 LAN port.

i believe you are doing a great confusion here:

if you have a router connected to the pc by LAN, you should not use pppoe
protocols, instead just plain tcp/ip on lan.

From: jatrojoomla on
On Aug 6, 8:15 am, ArameFarpado <a-farpado.s...(a)netcabo.pt> wrote:
> Em Segunda, 6 de Agosto de 2007 03:54, jatrojoomla escreveu:
>
> > Hi!
> > I had tried PPPoE with my ADSL Connection to connect internet with
> > CentOS 5.
> > Downloaded from
> >http://www.roaringpenguin.com/en/penguin/openSourceProducts/rpPppoeIt's a
> > dual boot system with windows 2000 & CentOS, while internet working with
> > windows 2000 perfectly. from centOS it's not even blinking of my MODEM
> > ROUTER, WHICH I CONNECTED THROUGH RJ-45 LAN port.
>
> i believe you are doing a great confusion here:
>
> if you have a router connected to the pc by LAN, you should not use pppoe
> protocols, instead just plain tcp/ip on lan.

It's modem-router for ADSL connection means you could connect either
from USB port or RJ-45 LAN port. both have on that device
with windows 2000 I am only use this modem lan port there & PPPoE for
windows working fine there

From: ArameFarpado on
Em Segunda, 6 de Agosto de 2007 05:34, jatrojoomla escreveu:

> It's modem-router for ADSL connection means you could connect either
> from USB port or RJ-45 LAN port. both have on that device
> with windows 2000 I am only use this modem lan port there & PPPoE for
> windows working fine there

you only need to conf pppoe or pppoa protocols if you have a simple adsl
modem that connects to a usb port or if the modem is internal. if it is
actually a router (is it?) you will not use pppoe protocols anymore.
Anyway, ethernet devices (your eth0) don't work with ppp protocols.

Try to simple configure your lan (eth0) and remember to use the modem adress
as the default gateway.

example of eth0 settings

ip=192.168.1.1
netmask=255.255.255.0
gateway=192.168.1.254 (this must be the router ip, check in it's manuals or
in your win2k settings the gateway it is using)

and you will get internet... know that most linux users change there usb
adsl modems to lan->adsl bridges ou adsl-routers just to don't have to deal
with the pppoe configuration pain. and you are trying to do the opposite :)
forget pppoe, the router will take care of that by it's own.

regards

From: jatrojoomla on
> you only need to conf pppoe or pppoa protocols if you have a simple adsl
> modem that connects to a usb port or if the modem is internal. if it is
> actually a router (is it?) you will not use pppoe protocols anymore.
> Anyway, ethernet devices (your eth0) don't work with ppp protocols.
>
> Try to simple configure your lan (eth0) and remember to use the modem adress
> as the default gateway.
>
> example of eth0 settings
>
> ip=192.168.1.1
> netmask=255.255.255.0
> gateway=192.168.1.254 (this must be the router ip, check in it's manuals or
> in your win2k settings the gateway it is using)
>
> and you will get internet... know that most linux users change there usb
> adsl modems to lan->adsl bridges ou adsl-routers just to don't have to deal
> with the pppoe configuration pain. and you are trying to do the opposite :)
> forget pppoe, the router will take care of that by it's own.
>
> regards

it's my single PC with Windows 2K & CentOS Installed. from this PC I
am directly connecting through my modem via LAN port Internet from
WIN2k. & My ISP not given me any IP address just a user name &
password.
They also give me pppoe Suit to install & configure on Win2k for
connecting internet.

same thing I am now trying to do with CentOS.

Thanks & regards