From: Gregory A. Beamer on
"John Whitworth" <sexyjw(a)g_EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE_mail.com> wrote in

> I want them to enter a number during installation, which I can then
> pick up in my application. I've added the Customer Information screen,
> and I can enforce the entry of the serial number - but that just
> performs a MOD-7 to ensure that it's valid. I want, ideally, to be
> able to grab the number from within my application, and do a little
> more validation upon it before running the app.
>
> It's basically very much like the serial number entry in Visual Studio
> 6 was - i.e. no key validation etc - just a simple check.

It is easy enough to create an algorithm that checks each series and
then makes sure the series work as a whole. That is essentially what
Microsoft does.

NOTE that no matter what you do a serious hacker/cracker will break it,
even if they have to alter the call to check the number. It is not worth
the time trying to get the perfect system unless you are planning on
selling the system, rather than the software.

Getting a serial number to a user can be done via sign up when they
download the software. And you can set the software up with a temporary
key that works for X time if they want a trial. You then only allow
"update key" functionality until they put a real key in.

Forcing a user to put in a serial number is easy enough. Install and
then have a check. In many cases, the number is stored in the registry
thereafter so the user does not need to enter again. You can also put
this in a file, but the file can be deleted.

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)

Twitter: @gbworld