From: John Whitworth on
Hi All,

No - I'm not after a serial number to crack VS2008. I have a legit copy
already working.

What I want to know is whether I can get hold of the Serial Number that I
can force a user to enter during setup (Customer Information screen on
standard VS installer) from within my application, so that I can perform
some simple validation upon it each time my application runs. I know it
won't be very secure, but it's just a mild deterrent for a low-value piece
of software.

I searched on the obvious keywords, and just received tons of warez sites -
not surprisingly!

Cheers

JW

From: Wilson, Phil on
Assuming Visual Studio installers do the standard thing, use
MsiGetProductInfo and ask for "ProductID", as here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370130(VS.85).aspx

Or (again assuming standard behavior) the key is associated with the PIDKEY
property, so you can write [PIDKEY] to the registry using the setup
project's IDE.

--
Phil Wilson
The Definitive Guide to Windows Installer

From: Gregory A. Beamer on
"John Whitworth" <sexyjw(a)g_EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE_mail.com> wrote in

> What I want to know is whether I can get hold of the Serial Number
> that I can force a user to enter during setup (Customer Information
> screen on standard VS installer) from within my application, so that I
> can perform some simple validation upon it each time my application
> runs. I know it won't be very secure, but it's just a mild deterrent
> for a low-value piece of software.

Do you want the VS serial number for them to enter or you want a system
like Visual Studio?

peace and grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |
From: John Whitworth on

"Gregory A. Beamer" <NoSpamMgbworld(a)comcast.netNoSpamM> wrote in message
> "John Whitworth" <sexyjw(a)g_EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE_mail.com> wrote in
>
>> What I want to know is whether I can get hold of the Serial Number
>> that I can force a user to enter during setup (Customer Information
>> screen on standard VS installer) from within my application, so that I
>> can perform some simple validation upon it each time my application
>> runs. I know it won't be very secure, but it's just a mild deterrent
>> for a low-value piece of software.
>
> Do you want the VS serial number for them to enter or you want a system
> like Visual Studio?

I want them to enter a number during installation, which I can then pick up
in my application. I've added the Customer Information screen, and I can
enforce the entry of the serial number - but that just performs a MOD-7 to
ensure that it's valid. I want, ideally, to be able to grab the number from
within my application, and do a little more validation upon it before
running the app.

It's basically very much like the serial number entry in Visual Studio 6
was - i.e. no key validation etc - just a simple check.

Thanks

John

From: John Whitworth on

"Wilson, Phil" <philw(a)wonderware.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Assuming Visual Studio installers do the standard thing, use
> MsiGetProductInfo and ask for "ProductID", as here:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370130(VS.85).aspx
>
> Or (again assuming standard behavior) the key is associated with the
> PIDKEY property, so you can write [PIDKEY] to the registry using the setup
> project's IDE.

Thanks Phil. I tried to do both of those things last night, and got horribly
lost. I will investigate further later on.

JW