From: vfnorton on

In windows explorer, when displaying the contents of a folder, I would
like to display the contents as tiles in 4 columns. Anyone know how to
do this?

I don't want to use a "thumbnails" view or an "icons" view--I want to
use a "tiles" view, and I would like to get 4 columns, but I can't find
any way to change the existing 3 column display format. I have looked
for various folder options or preferences in windows explorer, but I
don't see anything that will help.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

From: "Don Schmidt" Don on
As a test, I just displayed Windows Explorer in six tile columns. All one
needs to do it is have a wide screen monitor.

I've got a Samsung synckMaster 2243bwx 22" diagonal. (Nice feature is it
also rotates 90�).

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

From: glee on
Drag the sides of the Explorer window as far as they will go, to
accommodate the width of more rows. I can't go over 3 "columns" because
I don't have a wide screen monitor. As Don stated, the monitor has to
be wide enough to accommodate the size of the window you need....and, if
you use a wide screen monitor, your video card has to support the
resolution needed to display across the whole screen.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: vfnorton on

Yes, it makes perfect sense that, with a high resolution screen or
a wide screen, windows would by default provide more columns. But
I still would get only one fixed default column width that is much
wider that I might need. If I don't have extremely long file names,
and I don't, then it is sometimes very convenient to be able to
display more files on screen at once without the necessity of
scrolling (and without using the super tiny "icon" format).

The column width is likely to just be some setting in the registry,
right? Regardless of whether there is some user interface provided
to change it, don't I just need to know its name and location in the
registry, so I can change it manually? Does anyone know where this
info is? This seems like something other people ought to want to do
sometimes.

From: "Don Schmidt" Don on
One thing you could try is create small icons and change the icons of your
files and folders to the small icons and see if additional columns can be
created.