From: Stan Brown on
I've checked on the Web page but can't find a clear answer:

Is this a virus *and* spyware scanner, or just a spyware scanner?
They say "malware" over and over, and to em that implies both, but
they never actually said what they mean as far as i could see.

I raise the point because a friend claims that Malwarebytes Anti-
malware does spyware scanning only, not virus scanning

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
From: JD on
Stan Brown wrote:
> I've checked on the Web page but can't find a clear answer:
>
> Is this a virus *and* spyware scanner, or just a spyware scanner?
> They say "malware" over and over, and to em that implies both, but
> they never actually said what they mean as far as i could see.
>
> I raise the point because a friend claims that Malwarebytes Anti-
> malware does spyware scanning only, not virus scanning

Malware, short for malicious software, is software designed to
infiltrate a computer system without the owner's informed consent.

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Malware

That said, no one program will catch it all. I routinely run: a-squared
Free, Avast! antivirus, MBAM, Spybot Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster
and SuperAntiSpyware Free.

To answer your question, I never thought that MBAM was a virus scanner.
Not that I know much.

--
JD..
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown(a)fastmail.fm>

| I've checked on the Web page but can't find a clear answer:

| Is this a virus *and* spyware scanner, or just a spyware scanner?
| They say "malware" over and over, and to em that implies both, but
| they never actually said what they mean as far as i could see.

| I raise the point because a friend claims that Malwarebytes Anti-
| malware does spyware scanning only, not virus scanning

Why are you asking HERE and NOT in a virus or anti spyware related news group such as;
microsoft.public.security.virus ?

Additionally, you could have created an account on their forum and asked.

MBAM is not an anti virus application and is geared towards non-viral malware. It may
block a virus but it will not remove a virus once the files are infected. For example, it
may block a Virut or Parite infection but once infected with either, you will need to
remove it with an anti virus application.

--
Dave

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 08:07:11 -0500, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown(a)fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I've checked on the Web page but can't find a clear answer:
>
> Is this a virus *and* spyware scanner, or just a spyware scanner?
> They say "malware" over and over, and to em that implies both, but
> they never actually said what they mean as far as i could see.
>
> I raise the point because a friend claims that Malwarebytes Anti-
> malware does spyware scanning only, not virus scanning

Your friend is essentially right. Good a product as it is, they use
the word "malware" improperly, to mean just spyware, not all malware,
including viruses.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com
> Shikata ga nai...

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain>

| On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 08:07:11 -0500, Stan Brown
| <the_stan_brown(a)fastmail.fm> wrote:

>> I've checked on the Web page but can't find a clear answer:

>> Is this a virus *and* spyware scanner, or just a spyware scanner?
>> They say "malware" over and over, and to em that implies both, but
>> they never actually said what they mean as far as i could see.

>> I raise the point because a friend claims that Malwarebytes Anti-
>> malware does spyware scanning only, not virus scanning

| Your friend is essentially right. Good a product as it is, they use
| the word "malware" improperly, to mean just spyware, not all malware,
| including viruses.

That's not true either.

MBAM doesn't just target "spyware", a form of non-viral malware in the trojan class.

MBAM targets other forms of non-viral malware in the trojan class such as; adware, BHOS,
Dialers, keyloggers, banker/bancos, various C2 bots, trojan rootkits, trojans agents, etc.

But it doesn't target exploit codes.

--
Dave