From: Shenan Stanley on
<entire conversation, archived>
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics/browse_frm/thread/be6d208088a32627/
</entire conversation, archived>

<snipped>
Virus Guy wrote:
> I know that you use in-line posting (that is the correct way to
> post to usenet, and you should have noticed that I do the same).
<snipped>

Who says that is *the* correct way to post on the usenet and what do they
use to back up that claim?

That's like saying the correct way to communicate is using English... Just
not true, depends on many factors, etc.

How to post in usenet always has been/is/always will be (until it ceases to
exist) an opinion - and one that changes as the options change. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Virus Guy on
Shenan Stanley wrote:

> > I know that you use in-line posting (that is the correct way
> > to post to usenet, and you should have noticed that I do the
> > same)
>
> Who says that is *the* correct way to post on the usenet and
> what do they use to back up that claim?

When a conversation is sufficiently long or contains several concepts,
statements or questions, it is logical and easier to read when a replies
are posted "in-line" or immediately after the item being quoted, as I am
now doing in response to your post.

> That's like saying the correct way to communicate is using
> English... Just not true, depends on many factors, etc.

No. To use your analogy, it would be like saying that the correct way
to communicate (when communicating in english) is to use proper spelling
and grammar.

I would like to hear your argument as to why it would result in a
better, more readable reply if responses were not made in-line, but all
together in one block of text.

> How to post in usenet always has been/is/always will be
> (until it ceases to exist) an opinion - and one that
> changes as the options change. ;-)

If you want to believe that, then fine.

Those that believe that in-line quoting does not result in a better
(more comprehensive) reply (for the composer) and a more readable reply
(for the reader) are typically those that don't have good typing skills,
don't like to spend even the minimal effort to properly arrange their
quotes, and are also likely to be full-quoters (to drag the entirety of
a multi-quoted conversation into their reply) without doing any trimming
at all.

They are typically the same people that use the same quoting and reply
style used here in usenet as they use in e-mail conversations.
From: Stan Brown on
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:51:25 -0600 from Shenan Stanley
<newshelper(a)gmail.com>:
> Who says that is *the* correct way to post on the usenet and what do they
> use to back up that claim?

http://www.xs4all.nl/~wijnands/nnq/nquote.html

http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html#ss2.3

and many many more.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
From: Shenan Stanley on

Stan Brown wrote:
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~wijnands/nnq/nquote.html
>
> http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html#ss2.3
>
> and many many more.

So "opinions on a web page" - but no mandate, no universally agreed upon
standard...

I usually bottom-post - quoting most of the relevant message before
*because* it makes sense to me to follow the conversation in that manner.
However - if someone wants to top-post or in-line post - that is their
choice. There is no defined standard, no rule on general usenet. It is -
in the end - as I said - opinions.

I may - in certain cases - even go so far as to quote things the responder
chose not to - because to me - it was vital and/or would have already
answered the response had it been quoted already.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: glee on
"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown(a)fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:51:25 -0600 from Shenan Stanley
> <newshelper(a)gmail.com>:
>> Who says that is *the* correct way to post on the usenet and what do
>> they
>> use to back up that claim?
>
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~wijnands/nnq/nquote.html
>
> http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html#ss2.3
>
> and many many more.

Apparently you did not read the pages you linked, as they do not provide
proof of a "correct" way, but rather of a way "preferred" in the opinion
of the person who wrote the web page.

One page states specifically:
"Please do not consider this to be a "regulatory" document ("Thou shalt
do it this way because we say so!"), but rather as an "advocacy"
document ("A lot of people think this is a good way to do it, and here's
why.")"

You second link appears to be advocating bottom posting as "preference",
not in-line posting. Regardless, there is no Rule That Must Be Followed
for posting format.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+