From: Joe Gambler on
Hi,
I am currently learning C using VS 2005 at a local college and we have
an assignment that requires me to print a start time (for a sort
function of 100,000 records), a finish time and the time (in
seconds:milliseconds) taken to complete the sort.

The output should be:

Bubble Sort Started 15:52:34.791
` Finished 15:53:34.277 59.486 seconds

Insertion Sort Started 15:54:00.100
Finished 15:54:10.100 10.000 seconds

difftime ............ will not allow for milliseconds
time(&start) ..... " " "
_strtime_s ........ is a char
_ftime64_s ......
__timeb64........
__time64.........

The .millitm seems to be the only option that will give me ONLY the
milliseconds, but I don't understand how this option will help with
the seconds:milliseconds result I'm required to produce.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
From: Vincent Fatica on
Hint: milliseconds since 00:00:00 1-1-1970 will be

.time * 1000 + .millitm

--
- Vince
From: Ulrich Eckhardt on
Joe Gambler wrote:
> [...]we have an assignment that requires me to print a start time
> (for a sort function of 100,000 records), a finish time and the
> time (in seconds:milliseconds) taken to complete the sort.
[...]
> difftime ............ will not allow for milliseconds
> time(&start) ..... " " "
> _strtime_s ........ is a char
> _ftime64_s ......
> __timeb64........
> __time64.........
>
> The .millitm seems to be the only option that will give me ONLY the
> milliseconds, but I don't understand how this option will help with
> the seconds:milliseconds result I'm required to produce.

There is a precise, monotonic timer source available as timeGetTime(),
returning milliseconds. You will need to link the according library though.

#include <mmsystem.h>
#pragma comment(lib, "winmm.lib")

Other than that, you missed a common function in your research: clock().

Uli

--
Sator Laser GmbH

From: Joe Gambler on
On Sep 11, 4:30 am, Vincent Fatica <vi...(a)blackholespam.net> wrote:
> Hint:  milliseconds since 00:00:00 1-1-1970 will be
>
>         .time * 1000 + .millitm
>

>  - Vince

Do you ever get the feeling that your totally stupid?
You obviously don't, but I certainly feel that way now!!

Thanks for helping provide the answer I needed.

Cheers
Joe
From: Joe Gambler on
On Sep 11, 5:09 pm, Ulrich Eckhardt <eckha...(a)satorlaser.com> wrote:
> Joe Gambler wrote:
> > [...]we have an assignment that requires me to print a start time
> > (for a sort function of 100,000 records), a finish time and the
> > time (in seconds:milliseconds) taken to complete the sort.
> [...]
> > difftime ............ will not allow for milliseconds
> > time(&start) .....  "          "             "
> > _strtime_s ........  is a char
> > _ftime64_s ......
> > __timeb64........
> > __time64.........
>
> > The .millitm seems to be the only option that will give me ONLY the
> > milliseconds, but I don't understand how this option will help with
> > the seconds:milliseconds result I'm required to produce.
>
> There is a precise, monotonic timer source available as timeGetTime(),
> returning milliseconds. You will need to link the according library though.
>
> #include <mmsystem.h>
> #pragma comment(lib, "winmm.lib")
>
> Other than that, you missed a common function in your research: clock().
>
> Uli
>
> --
> Sator Laser GmbH
> Geschäftsführer: Thorsten Föcking, Amtsgericht Hamburg HR B62 932

Now I feel even more foolish. But, I thank you for providing me with
the function.

Regards
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2