From: Günther on
Thank Bill,

I was trying for hours to connect my visual studio to the oracle database which is running in an XP instance of virtual pc.

Cheers.

Bill Grant wrote:

Re: How to connect my virtual Machine from my desktop
09-Feb-09

"ansur" <guest(a)unknown-email.com> wrote in message

You cannot use shared networking. You need to set the NIC in the vm to
use the loopback adapter option. You need to manually configure the loopback
adapter in the host and the NIC in the vm with IP addresses in the same IP
subnet. (eg 192.168.21.1 mask 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.21.2 mask
255.255.255.0).

On Thursday, February 05, 2009 10:36 PM
ansur wrote:

How to connect my virtual Machine from my desktop
Hi

I am using vista home premium stand alone notebook. I had created
windows 2003 Virtual machine with SQL 2005 running in it. I need to
connect SQL 2005 from my desk top which was sql client installed in it.

can any opn pls help me to set the ip / dns settings in vista and VPC.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Regards
Anbu

--
ansur

On Friday, February 06, 2009 1:24 AM
Bill Grant wrote:

Re: How to connect my virtual Machine from my desktop
"ansur" <guest(a)unknown-email.com> wrote in message

There is no way for somebody to explain what you need to do without a bit
more detail of your setup. How are the two physical machines connected? What
network setting are you using on the vm?

If the notebook and desktop are connected to the same physical network
and set to get their network config from a DHCP server, this should work
automatically if the vm is set to use the physical NIC in the host. The SQL
server will look like an additional machine on the network to the networking
software.

On Friday, February 06, 2009 1:38 AM
ansur wrote:

Re: How to connect my virtual Machine from my desktop
Thank you Bill. :D

Well, only one note book ehich act as both desktop and VM.
my VM is sitting in e$.

Thank You
Anbu

--
ansur

On Friday, February 06, 2009 9:53 PM
Bill Grant wrote:

Re: How to connect my virtual Machine from my desktop
"ansur" <guest(a)unknown-email.com> wrote in message

The software for networking between the host machine and the virtual
machine (Virtual Machine Network Services) works with the driver software
for the network card in your host machine.

If your host is not connected to a network, you need to install a
Microsoft Loopback Adapter in the host machine. Look in the help files on
the host machine on how to do this. When you have this installed you should
see a Loopback Adapter option in the settings for the NIC in your VM. If you
select this option, the guest and host can use this network to communicate.

On Friday, February 06, 2009 10:20 PM
Bill Grant wrote:

Re: How to connect my virtual Machine from my desktop
"Bill Grant" <not.available(a)online> wrote in message

To install a loopback adapter in Vista, go to Control Panel | Add
Hardware
Select "Install the hardware that I manually select"
Select Network Adapters
Select Microsoft
Select Microsoft Loopback Adapter

On Monday, February 09, 2009 5:12 AM
ansur wrote:

Thank you bill for your help. I had installed Microsoft LoopbackAdapter.
Thank you bill for your help. I had installed Microsoft Loopback
Adapter. but thit havent helped much. Let me explain in detail about my
requirement and issue.

1. My notebook OS is vista home premium sp1 with drives c,d,e
2. I had installed virtual PC console
3. my virtual pc files are in e$. having virtual PC for SQL 2005
4. In virtual PC console settings i had configured networking to
shared networking for adapter 1.
5. after selecting this i am able to run ipconfig and it is giving IP
in virtual PC
IP
But when i try to ping my laptop it is not able to ping and viceversa

i believe i need to do some ip configure in laptop. can you pls advice
me on this. Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards
Anbu

--
ansur

On Monday, February 09, 2009 5:14 AM
ansur wrote:

Thank you bill for your help. I had installed Microsoft LoopbackAdapter.
Thank you bill for your help. I had installed Microsoft Loopback
Adapter. but thit havent helped much. Let me explain in detail about my
requirement and issue.

1. My notebook OS is vista home premium sp1 with drives c,d,e
2. I had installed virtual PC console
3. my virtual pc files are in e$. having virtual PC for SQL 2005
4. In virtual PC console settings i had configured networking to shared
networking for adapter 1.
5. after selecting this i am able to run ipconfig and it is giving IP
in virtual PC
IP : 192.168.131.66
subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
default gateway : 192.168.131.254

But when i try to ping my laptop it is not able to ping and viceversa

i believe i need to do some ip configure in laptop. can you pls advice
me on this. Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards
Anbu

--
ansur

On Monday, February 09, 2009 5:56 AM
Bill Grant wrote:

Re: How to connect my virtual Machine from my desktop
"ansur" <guest(a)unknown-email.com> wrote in message

You cannot use shared networking. You need to set the NIC in the vm to
use the loopback adapter option. You need to manually configure the loopback
adapter in the host and the NIC in the vm with IP addresses in the same IP
subnet. (eg 192.168.21.1 mask 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.21.2 mask
255.255.255.0).

MS Access DSNLess connection string sample
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/5720f156-18d2-4114-b783-90a461cae05b/ms-access-dsnless-connect.aspx