From: test on
I need to run 2 versions of the same application from laptops. The
app connects to a sql server.

One version of our application is our current version and the other
is a newversion. I would like to test the newer version before using
it as the default version.

The software is written in .net (v bor C).

Can I install the newer update and switch between the two using VPC?

Also, I am using Windows XP and have read that it VPC may already be
installed on my system, is this correct?

Thanks!
From: David B. on
No, VPC is not pre installed in XP. In order to run XP in a VPC you need a
second licensed copy of Windows XP, you have to install the VPC application,
then you must install the OS of your choice, which basically sets up a
computer within your computer to which you install any applications you want
to use. It is independent of the OS it's installed on and cannot run any
application on the actual (host) PC, so you can't "switch" between different
versions of applications with it, but you can run just your newer version on
it without affecting the host OS or applications.

From: Bo Berglund on
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:12:49 -0500, "David B." <mail(a)nomail.net>
wrote:

>No, VPC is not pre installed in XP. In order to run XP in a VPC you need a
>second licensed copy of Windows XP, you have to install the VPC application,
>then you must install the OS of your choice, which basically sets up a
>computer within your computer to which you install any applications you want
>to use. It is independent of the OS it's installed on and cannot run any
>application on the actual (host) PC, so you can't "switch" between different
>versions of applications with it, but you can run just your newer version on
>it without affecting the host OS or applications.
>
>--
What about XP Mode in Windows 7?

Would it not be possible to install one of the apps in XP Mode (inside
the virtual XP machine) and the other directly in Win7.
Then it would be possible to run both (even side by side at the same
time perhaps)????
With XP Mode I think you only see the application window, not the
virtual computer's desktop?

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Robert Comer on
>With XP Mode I think you only see the application window, not the
>virtual computer's desktop?

You can do it either way, seamless or on an XP desktop. Seamless
works really well for what I use...

--
Bob Comer

From: David B. on
Yes, that would work, and you can see the VPC desktop if you want, as long
as your hardware and Windows 7 version support XP mode, you don't need to
buy a separate XP license, you just need to download and install the app and
the VM.