From: Goru101 on
Hi,

I need to know the steps to create an image from an existing image.

My problem is that when I install any OS like Windows 2003 Ent on a virtual
pc then use sysprep and shut it down, then copy the .vhd file, and create
another machine and use the second .vhd file, when I start the second machine
it goes back to the Windows 2003 installation wizard and ask me all the
questions again like I never installed any OS on the harddisk.

So my question what is the way to clone virtual machine ????
From: Robert Riebisch on
Goru101 wrote:

> My problem is that when I install any OS like Windows 2003 Ent on a virtual
> pc then use sysprep and shut it down, then copy the .vhd file, and create

Did you shutdown the complete VM or inside your guest OS?

--
Robert Riebisch
Bitte NUR in der Newsgroup antworten!
From: Bo Berglund on
On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 07:49:03 -0800, Goru101
<Goru101(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I need to know the steps to create an image from an existing image.
>
>My problem is that when I install any OS like Windows 2003 Ent on a virtual
>pc then use sysprep and shut it down, then copy the .vhd file, and create
>another machine and use the second .vhd file, when I start the second machine
>it goes back to the Windows 2003 installation wizard and ask me all the
>questions again like I never installed any OS on the harddisk.
>
>So my question what is the way to clone virtual machine ????

Skip the SysPrep step.
Just shut down the master guest completely, then copy the VHD file to
another namer and folder.
When you start this you will have back the master operating system etc
with one important change, the network card MAC address will be
different so it won't clash with the master if both would be running
at the same time.
But since the copy is a clone you have to do a name change on the copy
so it won't use the same PC name anymore. Easily done in network
properties. Of course if you have used fixed IP address on the master
then you need to change this on the copy too.

What you now have is an exact copy of your master with a different
network card (thanks to the MAC change) and a different PC name
(thanks to your edit of this).
But it uses still the same SID so if this is important you have to use
the ChangeSID proigram to modify it.

Bo Berglund
From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"Bo Berglund" <boberglund(a)home.se> wrote in message

> What you now have is an exact copy of your master with a different
> network card (thanks to the MAC change) and a different PC name
> (thanks to your edit of this).
> But it uses still the same SID so if this is important you have to use
> the ChangeSID proigram to modify it.

And get a separate licence for all the software installed on it... :-)

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP