From: starwars on
Thank you for the explanation.

From: Anonymous on
> Nomen Nescio <nobody(a)dizum.com> writes:
> > If we consider a password of n characters, given the user will probably
> > likely enter only alpha characters and numbers and a small set of
> > characters like @#$ etc. how do we calculate the actual entropy of the
> > password? Thanks.
>
> If you mean a password supplied by the user, it is drawn from an unknown
> distribution so there is no way for a program to compute or estimate the
> entropy. If you want a password with known entropy, you have to
> generate it from a known distribution (i.e. with an RNG) and assign it
> to the user.

Shouldn't we be able to calculate a worst case and at least say what the
maximum possible entropy could be given there's only a finite set of
characters used in the n character passphrase? I'm looking at weaknesses in
user passwords not trying to generate a password of known entropy.

From: Paul Rubin on
Anonymous <cripto(a)ecn.org> writes:
> Shouldn't we be able to calculate a worst case and at least say what the
> maximum possible entropy could be given there's only a finite set of
> characters used in the n character passphrase? I'm looking at weaknesses in
> user passwords not trying to generate a password of known entropy.

The maximum entropy as worst case for brute force search? Sure, you can
calculate that the obvious way, H=log2(k**n) where k is the size of the
alphabet. But that is pretty useless, especially since the searcher
won't normally know the length of the passphrase (it could be very long).

The usual reason people want to estimate password entropy is for those
stupid password-strength checkers that prevent users from setting
passwords fewer than n characters, etc. In that situation, the max
entropy above is the best case, not the worst, and it is unrealistic
to hope for if the users get to pick the password themselves.
From: Maaartin on
On May 24, 12:34 pm, Paul Rubin <no.em...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> The maximum entropy as worst case for brute force search?  Sure, you can
> calculate that the obvious way, H=log2(k**n) where k is the size of the
> alphabet.  But that is pretty useless, especially since the searcher
> won't normally know the length of the passphrase (it could be very long).

I wonder how closely is the expected time of brute force search
related to the entropy. Imagine me picking a 10 characters random
password consisting of letters only, where I'm biased 80:20 against
capitals. The entropy is only 54 bits instead of 57, does it mean the
search takes 8 times less?
From: Joseph Ashwood on
"Paul Rubin" <no.email(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> "Joseph Ashwood" <ashwood(a)msn.com> writes:
>> While a perfect number is impossible, if you have a large enough set
>> of users you can check the passwords against each other, this gives a
>> distribution for general purposes.
>
> That doesn't make any sense. Each person picks a password from their
> own distribution. You can't usefully treat them as being drawn from one
> monstrous distribution.

Absolutely, for a particular individual there will be very significant bias,
and having significant knowledge of the target will change the distribution.
However, in a general situation, having such knowledge is unlikely. Anyone
looking for my password would likely have some knowledge of the
distribution, but someone looking for a password is not able to use that
information. So certainly it isn't perfect, but I do believe it gives a
useful number.

> Also, checking passwords against each other isn't so good since it means
> you're storing them as unsalted hashes or even in the clear.

Nothing says they have to be passwords from your system, although that would
be most accurate. Several large userbase websites have had their passwords
compromised, and these lists are available. It won't have the same
distribution as your audience, unless your audience is identical, but again
it should be useful.

There's a very good reason I said "a perfect number is impossible"
Joe