From: jbriggs444 on
On May 24, 9:33 pm, unruh <un...(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> On 2010-05-24, Paul Rubin <no.em...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > unruh <un...(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> writes:
> >> The key is that there is not "entropy of a password". One can only make
> >> reasonable assumptions about the attacker's strategy
>
> > I see "entropy of a password" as shorthand for "entropy of the
> > distribution that the password is drawn from".  The attacker's obvious
> > strategy is to model the distribution as closely as possible, then
> > search starting from the most probable passwords.
>
> Except of course that the attacker does not know what distribution the
> password was drawn from, nor does the person know what the attacker's
> search stragegy is.
> The user's best strategy is to choose the least likely password from the
> attacker's distribution, while the attacker;s to to choose the most
> likely from the user's distribution. But neither actually do that.

At the risk of stating the blatantly obvious...

The user can put a bound on the effectiveness of the attacker's
best strategy by arranging for the likelihood of his most likely
password choice to be very small. Given a fixed finite limitation
on password length, an optimum is achieved by using the
maximum alphabet size and choosing at random so that all
password choices are equally unlikely.

This is "optimal" in the sense that it guarantees a
particular level of effectiveness against the best possible
counter-strategy. No other user strategy can provide a
a guarantee of doing better.

Given an unlimited password size, the user has no optimal
strategy, but can make the attackers expected effort arbitrarily
large.
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
jbriggs444 wrote:

> The user can put a bound on the effectiveness of the attacker's
> best strategy by arranging for the likelihood of his most likely
> password choice to be very small. Given a fixed finite limitation
> on password length, an optimum is achieved by using the
> maximum alphabet size and choosing at random so that all
> password choices are equally unlikely.
>
> This is "optimal" in the sense that it guarantees a
> particular level of effectiveness against the best possible
> counter-strategy. No other user strategy can provide a
> a guarantee of doing better.
>
> Given an unlimited password size, the user has no optimal
> strategy, but can make the attackers expected effort arbitrarily
> large.

I have a layman's problem: Suppose that there is a mechanism that
emits the characters of the alphabet perfectly randomly. Then
by assumption it "could" happen that one obtains e.g. a result
'aaaaa.....'. But one "normally" wouldn't consider that to be
a good password, would it?

M. K. Shen

From: Maaartin on
On May 25, 4:32 pm, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> I have a layman's problem: Suppose that there is a mechanism that
> emits the characters of the alphabet perfectly randomly. Then
> by assumption it "could" happen that one obtains e.g. a result
> 'aaaaa.....'. But one "normally" wouldn't consider that to be
> a good password, would it?

It may happen, but normally it's quite improbable. The probability of
a any given string (e.g., "aaaaaaaaaa") being taken from the uniform
distribution (of 10 lower case letters) is exactly the same as the
probability of the attacker using the same distribution succeeding
with his first guess when guessing the password (e.g., "yugpsgxpzz").
When we don't care about the latter, we can ignore the former as well.
Or can we?
From: jbriggs444 on
On May 25, 11:18 am, Maaartin <grajc...(a)seznam.cz> wrote:
> On May 25, 4:32 pm, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
>
> > I have a layman's problem: Suppose that there is a mechanism that
> > emits the characters of the alphabet perfectly randomly. Then
> > by assumption it "could" happen that one obtains e.g. a result
> > 'aaaaa.....'. But one "normally" wouldn't consider that to be
> > a good password, would it?
>
> It may happen, but normally it's quite improbable. The probability of
> a any given string (e.g., "aaaaaaaaaa") being taken from the uniform
> distribution (of 10 lower case letters) is exactly the same as the
> probability of the attacker using the same distribution succeeding
> with his first guess when guessing the password (e.g., "yugpsgxpzz").
> When we don't care about the latter, we can ignore the former as well.
> Or can we?

Do you want to base your defense on Iocaine powder?

Suppose your strategy is to filter out all 26 passwords where the
same character is repeated 10 times. Suppose the password
generator otherwise has a 26 character alphabet and is generating
10 character passwords.

By filtering the password generator's output, you reduce its entropy
[very slightly] and improve the odds that an attacker who understands
your password generation algorithm will be able to mount a brute
force attack.

You ease this attacker's work factor by a factor from an average of
(2^26+1)/2 down to an average of (2^26-25)/2

Against an attacker who is starting at aaaaaaaaaa and working up
in alphabetic order, the filter achieves no net change in the
attacker's work factor!!! [you eliminated "zzzzzzzzzz" from the
end of the list at the same time you eliminated "aaaaaaaaaa" from
the front -- average linear search time is unchanged]
From: Gordon Burditt on
>I have a layman's problem: Suppose that there is a mechanism that
>emits the characters of the alphabet perfectly randomly. Then

Rolling dice is a pretty good approximation of this. Not perfect,
but a reasonable approximation. You can buy a 30-sided die with
the alphabet and 4 "wild" sides on it. Reroll if you get "wild"
or use a symbol. You can also flip a coin to decide whether it
will be upper or lower case.

You could also roll 2 10-sided dice to get a 2-digit decimal number,
and assign up to 100 characters to those numbers. Re-roll if you
get an unassigned number. That should handle printable ASCII
characters and a few control characters like newline and tab.

>by assumption it "could" happen that one obtains e.g. a result
>'aaaaa.....'. But one "normally" wouldn't consider that to be
>a good password, would it?

No. But the chances of that happening are very small, and eliminating
all the passwords possibly considered "bad", such as all those with
repeated letters, just makes the search space smaller. "goodness"
of a password is more a function of how it was generated, or how
it is guessed, rather than the actual password.