From: George Orwell on
> What are you trying to do exactly? 10 chars would normally not be
> considered a "passphrase" (which connotes being able to withstand
> offline brute force search). Normally 10 chars would be for an access
> password which can only be checked with an online query for each guess,
> making brute force search much harder.

I overheard somebody saying a 10 character password can not possibly be
brute forced. I know intuitively this is false but since I flunked all my
college math I could not say why it is false scientifically speaking. I
know you guys can.

Given the password he was talking about is not random and doesn't contain
any unprintable chars it seems obvious dictionary attacks and other types
of attacks could easily crack his password, which is just something he
types on a keyboard. Maybe I am not using the word entropy correctly. What
I am asking is how many bits of security is there in a 10 character
passphrase consisting of only what you could type on a regular
keyboard.

BTW Sorry for the out of order and occasionally missing replies. I am
sending these posts through mixmaster. It is not 100% reliable for delivery
of messages. Thanks.

https://www.mixmaster.it

From: Phoenix on
On 24 Maio, 22:58, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:

> If there is not "entropy of a password", could there be "entropy of a
> message in general"?

Yes

I am afraid that the existence non-existence
> of both are somehow tightly related.

No

See an example:

key/Password/Passphrase = "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
Plaintext/message = "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......
Ciphertext = Hight quality entropy and outher statiscal values

The entropy value for the cipher text, depends on the algorithm.

Alvo

From: Paul Rubin on
George Orwell <nobody(a)mixmaster.it> writes:
> I overheard somebody saying a 10 character password can not possibly be
> brute forced. I know intuitively this is false but since I flunked all my
> college math I could not say why it is false scientifically speaking. I
> know you guys can.

Well you could have just said that at the beginning. ;-).

If you mean offline brute force (you can check a guess by computing some
crypto primitive), it's certainly possible but not easy. Let's say 6
bits per character (64 character alphabet), so 60 bits, that's
equivalent to 16x the keyspace of single DES, which was broken with
special purpose hardware (google "Deep Crack") a decade or so ago. So
it's within reach of a determined attacker with resources, but it's not
something you could easily do on your PC, even today.

If you mean an online attack (you have to submit each guess to a remote
server and wait for a yes/no response, and the server locks you out
after too many wrong tries), then it's pretty safe.
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Phoenix wrote:
> Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
>
>> If there is not "entropy of a password", could there be "entropy of a
>> message in general"?
>
> Yes
>
> I am afraid that the existence non-existence
>> of both are somehow tightly related.
>
> No
>
> See an example:
>
> key/Password/Passphrase = "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
> Plaintext/message = "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......
> Ciphertext = Hight quality entropy and outher statiscal values
>
> The entropy value for the cipher text, depends on the algorithm.

Sorry that I don't capture that. A password is also "a sort" of message,
i.e. the legitimate partner can recognizes that it is correct, if
it is correctly entered. Right? So, if one denies that a password could
have entropy (I am not sure yet though, whether that's the unanimous
position of the experts in this group), it seems to be hard to claim
that a message "in general" has entropy.

BTW, by "message" I mean a given finite string. See also a follow-up of
mine today to a post of Bryan Olson.

M. K. Shen
From: Non scrivetemi on
> Well you could have just said that at the beginning. ;-).

Sorry sometimes it's not obvious until it's obvious!

> If you mean offline brute force (you can check a guess by computing some
> crypto primitive), it's certainly possible but not easy. Let's say 6
> bits per character (64 character alphabet), so 60 bits, that's
> equivalent to 16x the keyspace of single DES, which was broken with
> special purpose hardware (google "Deep Crack") a decade or so ago. So
> it's within reach of a determined attacker with resources, but it's not
> something you could easily do on your PC, even today.

Thanks. And that's the best (worst) case, right? Since dictionary or
attacks would probably crack it a lot faster.....