From: Duncan Kennedy on
In message <68oj255odr9v04dne1mpp8i4qj2i4dg0kc(a)4ax.com>, PW
<emailaddyinsig(a)ifIremember.com> writes
>On Sun, 31 May 2009 22:43:08 +0100, Duncan Kennedy
><nospam(a)nospam.otterson-bg.couk> wrote:
>
>>In message <nom2255h689t7d58fm2ge2euno2jk3u168(a)4ax.com>, PW
>><emailaddyinsig(a)ifIremember.com> writes
>>

>>>Thanks Duncan. I have Flash 8, a book published by lynda.com and I
>>>just subscribed to that website. Just need to find the time to play
>>>with it.
>>
>>Lynda Weinman's book on Designing Web Graphics was never far from my
>>hand in the early days - indeed ii is still about 4ft away. Her web
>>site is excellent.
>
>I just ordered the 4th edition for $6 via a reseller from Amazon.

That can't be a loss anyway at that price.

>But I don't have Photoshop, can't afford it, and doubt I'll ever buy
>it. I am sure I will learn a lot from the book though!

Photoshop Express is a lot cheaper (under 70 GBP here) and covers just
about as much (not sure about the animation)

>>>I need to make it to Scotland one day. My dad's side is Scottish
>>>(Williamson). Are you a salmon fisherman (preferably fly fisherman
>>>;-)?
>>
>>Not in any way - haven't got the patience and the last time I stood
>>fully dressed up to my chest in cold water was in the Lews (Sussex)
>>floods in 1961 when I was doing my National Service. But Williamson is
>>a good Scots name.
>>
>Yes, Macromedia days. I can't rationalize the upgrade cost to CS3/4.

`I can understand that - it was a big drain on the business to go for
CS3 upgrade last year - then they brought out CS4 within weeks.

>>Try this (watch the wrap of the URL). There is documentation available
>>and somewhere well into it there is a bit about making an animated GIF
>>graphic fade but I was using CS3. Of course GIFs have their problems
>>with photos and I suspect a Flash video might be smaller. Fading in and
>>out in Flash is easy.
>>
>>http://blogs.adobe.com/lifeasanse/2008/03/getting_your_web_design_to_the.
>>html
>
>http://blogs.adobe.com/lifeasanse/2008/03/getting_your_web_design_to_the.html
>
>Is that it (w/o word wrap)?

That's the one. If you download the PDF instructions (its about 22MB as
I remember but I could send it to you if your email would stand it) you
can work through it in Dreamweaver - even older versions I guess. It
gives you a good insight into using backgrounds to DIVs

>Look at some of the websites on our testimonial page
>(http://www.lodge-ical.com/testimon.htm). This is our market which I
>would love to stick to (as I am also a fly fishing guide/outfitter but
>always a bridesmaid but never a bride).

OK! I take back what I said about standing in water. In fact I've only
just got back from a week based in Kelso, where, on one evening after a
hot day, I was happy to sit on the bank of the Tweed and watch a man in
the middle of the river casting away - don't think he caught anything
while I was watching but it looked good.

And I'm only just back into newsgroups - Kelso is distinctly limited on
mobile broadband access.

>These websites and their
>graphics look to be way over my head at this point (even with the
>project seven products) but I'd love to know how to do websites like
>them! Note the western (US) theme!
>
>http://waterfallresort.com/
>http://www.deercreeklodge.net/
>http://www.coveredwagonranch.com/

You could come very close to these without too much trial and error.
The tutorial would give you ideas about breaking up the screen into
areas and adding backgrounds for your text to go over. Outdoor sports
friend might be persuaded to provide photos if you haven't what you want
yourself. The menus on your computer business page could be converted
or you could use simple CSS menus like some of the sites do (or use the
code from one of the samples on the http://www.cssmenumaker.com/ site if
you didn't do the ones on your site yourself.)

As for fading photos - quick and dirty description of one way using
Flash MX and possibly earlier (before slideshow templates)

1) Open new "stage" size of photo
2) In time line frame 1 import photo Select by clicking and right click
- Convert to Symbol
3) Insert Keyframe (right click on frame) at, say 24 frames (2 seconds
at default 12 fps)
4) Place cursor at end of fade - insert keyframe (say frame 30)
5) Select and right click on photo at Frame 30 and in Properties, Select
Color>brightness and change photo brightness to 100%
6) Highlight from start to finish of fade (24 to 30) and right click -
Insert Tween

Try dragging the time cursor from start to finish or use "Control >
Play"
7) "Insert" Layer
8) Insert Keyframe in new layer where you want the second photo fade-in
to start (Frame 30)
9) with layer selected Import new photo
10) Select and "Convert to Symbol"
11) Reverse above - start with 100% brightness and finish with 0% on a
new keyframe where you want this one to end,
12) Highlight from frame after end of fade-in (36?) for 24 frames (2
seconds) and Insert frames. (If you get the blue Tween background for
this section highlight and right click Remove tween.)
13) Repeat for layer 3 etc
14) Save FLA working file and Publish as SWF

OK you need to experiment with timing, the amount of brightness to start
/ end the fade on, the length of overlap and the number of frames before
/ after fading starts.

If you don't want any fading then just keep adding on layers with one
photo at the frame after the end of the previous one on the layer below
- easy.

You may be surprised how small the resulting "movie" can be if you're
careful

Finally, I'm sure there are better ways - possibly even fading in on
*top of fading out - if somebody would like to make a suggestion. CS3
has a photo slide-show template but I know you are on an earlier
version,

--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay
From: PW on
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:17:55 +0100, Duncan Kennedy
<nospam(a)nospam.otterson-bg.couk> wrote:

>In message <68oj255odr9v04dne1mpp8i4qj2i4dg0kc(a)4ax.com>, PW
><emailaddyinsig(a)ifIremember.com> writes
>>On Sun, 31 May 2009 22:43:08 +0100, Duncan Kennedy
>><nospam(a)nospam.otterson-bg.couk> wrote:
>>
>>>In message <nom2255h689t7d58fm2ge2euno2jk3u168(a)4ax.com>, PW
>>><emailaddyinsig(a)ifIremember.com> writes

>>>Lynda Weinman's book on Designing Web Graphics was never far from my
>>>hand in the early days - indeed ii is still about 4ft away. Her web
>>>site is excellent.
>>
>>I just ordered the 4th edition for $6 via a reseller from Amazon.
>
>That can't be a loss anyway at that price.
>

>>But I don't have Photoshop, can't afford it, and doubt I'll ever buy
>>it. I am sure I will learn a lot from the book though!
>
>Photoshop Express is a lot cheaper (under 70 GBP here) and covers just
>about as much (not sure about the animation)

I'll check it out! The website is down for maintenance tonight.

>>>Not in any way - haven't got the patience and the last time I stood
>>>fully dressed up to my chest in cold water was in the Lews (Sussex)
>>>floods in 1961 when I was doing my National Service. But Williamson is
>>>a good Scots name.
>>>
>>Yes, Macromedia days. I can't rationalize the upgrade cost to CS3/4.
>
>`I can understand that - it was a big drain on the business to go for
>CS3 upgrade last year - then they brought out CS4 within weeks.

I am thinking about upgrading from Dreamweaver 8 to DW CS4 since it's
been so long since I bought DW8. Any reasons why I should upgrade?

I am not a web professional but may want to dabble a bit.

Project Seven products should not have any trouble working with CS4.

I will not be upgrading Fireworks right now so FW8 must work with it.
I am not interested in Photoshop now until I have the time or money to
learn it.

And the only new reason I can see from Adobe's "reason's to upgrade"
link is the new InContext but it looks to be a subscription service
and am not sure if any of my present or potential future clients would
want to pay for a subscription to be able to change the content of
their website (I could not find how much it costs).

What's the concensus here about CS4 or 3 (and FW CS4)? Should I spend
the $200 upgrade cost? What do you think Duncan?

>>>Try this (watch the wrap of the URL). There is documentation available
>>>and somewhere well into it there is a bit about making an animated GIF
>>>graphic fade but I was using CS3. Of course GIFs have their problems
>>>with photos and I suspect a Flash video might be smaller. Fading in and
>>>out in Flash is easy.
>>>
>>>http://blogs.adobe.com/lifeasanse/2008/03/getting_your_web_design_to_the.
>>>html
>>
>>http://blogs.adobe.com/lifeasanse/2008/03/getting_your_web_design_to_the.html
>>
>>Is that it (w/o word wrap)?
>
>That's the one. If you download the PDF instructions (its about 22MB as
>I remember but I could send it to you if your email would stand it) you
>can work through it in Dreamweaver - even older versions I guess. It
>gives you a good insight into using backgrounds to DIVs

I am on my 2nd try to download that PDF. Website is being a pain or
maybe it's me. I am also having trouble finding what the heck DIVs
are but I have a great book for DW8 "Beyond the Book".

>>Look at some of the websites on our testimonial page
>>(http://www.lodge-ical.com/testimon.htm). This is our market which I
>>would love to stick to (as I am also a fly fishing guide/outfitter but
>>always a bridesmaid but never a bride).
>
>OK! I take back what I said about standing in water. In fact I've only
>just got back from a week based in Kelso, where, on one evening after a
>hot day, I was happy to sit on the bank of the Tweed and watch a man in
>the middle of the river casting away - don't think he caught anything
>while I was watching but it looked good.
>
>And I'm only just back into newsgroups - Kelso is distinctly limited on
>mobile broadband access.

Yeah, like I know where the heck that place is ;-)

>>These websites and their
>>graphics look to be way over my head at this point (even with the
>>project seven products) but I'd love to know how to do websites like
>>them! Note the western (US) theme!
>>
>>http://waterfallresort.com/
>>http://www.deercreeklodge.net/
>>http://www.coveredwagonranch.com/
>>
>You could come very close to these without too much trial and error.
>The tutorial would give you ideas about breaking up the screen into
>areas and adding backgrounds for your text to go over. Outdoor sports
>friend might be persuaded to provide photos if you haven't what you want
>yourself. The menus on your computer business page could be converted
>or you could use simple CSS menus like some of the sites do (or use the
>code from one of the samples on the http://www.cssmenumaker.com/ site if
>you didn't do the ones on your site yourself.)

Nice website but I really love the ProjectSeven stuff.

>As for fading photos - quick and dirty description of one way using
>Flash MX and possibly earlier (before slideshow templates)
>
>1) Open new "stage" size of photo
>2) In time line frame 1 import photo Select by clicking and right click
>- Convert to Symbol
>3) Insert Keyframe (right click on frame) at, say 24 frames (2 seconds
>at default 12 fps)
>4) Place cursor at end of fade - insert keyframe (say frame 30)
>5) Select and right click on photo at Frame 30 and in Properties, Select
>Color>brightness and change photo brightness to 100%
>6) Highlight from start to finish of fade (24 to 30) and right click -
>Insert Tween
>
>Try dragging the time cursor from start to finish or use "Control >
>Play"
>7) "Insert" Layer
>8) Insert Keyframe in new layer where you want the second photo fade-in
>to start (Frame 30)
>9) with layer selected Import new photo
>10) Select and "Convert to Symbol"
>11) Reverse above - start with 100% brightness and finish with 0% on a
>new keyframe where you want this one to end,
>12) Highlight from frame after end of fade-in (36?) for 24 frames (2
>seconds) and Insert frames. (If you get the blue Tween background for
>this section highlight and right click Remove tween.)
>13) Repeat for layer 3 etc
>14) Save FLA working file and Publish as SWF
>
>OK you need to experiment with timing, the amount of brightness to start
>/ end the fade on, the length of overlap and the number of frames before
>/ after fading starts.
>
>If you don't want any fading then just keep adding on layers with one
>photo at the frame after the end of the previous one on the layer below
>- easy.
>
>You may be surprised how small the resulting "movie" can be if you're
>careful
>
>Finally, I'm sure there are better ways - possibly even fading in on
>*top of fading out - if somebody would like to make a suggestion. CS3
>has a photo slide-show template but I know you are on an earlier
>version,

Looks like great stuff! Thanks Duncan. I will set aside some time
soon to give it a go for sure.

-paul
From: PW on

>>>I wonder what effect this will have on Contour. Don't have CS4 so can't
>>>comment but the trial on the Adobe site looks good.
>>
>>I don't know what Contour is.
>
>Neither do I - that's my brain not working my fingers - should be
>Contribute.

I should have figured that out :-)

>It is intended to allow people to work on site updates in specific
>editable regions only. I've never used it 'though CS3 comes with a free
>copy (Usually about 100GBP here). Not sure it is intended to work on
>line or let the updater download, amend and upload automatically. It
>did fire up once when I was getting a little bit upset at a photographer
>that was several months late in providing my order and permitted me to
>grab some screen resolution photos I couldn't otherwise get - I suppose
>that was illegal but it was my money already paid up front.
>>
>>>Second thought - I don't have CS4 so really don't know. I did read the
>>>posts from several users here who were having trouble with Dreamweaver
>>>and Fireworks CS4 - perhaps a check on the online forum at Adobe might
>>>be as good idea - you don't have to register to read.
>>>

>>I read that CS4 has a bunch of bugs.
>
>So did I - but one must remember that it is unusual for satisfied
>customers to start threads - usually comes from those with problems -

for sure

>but the CS3 / Vista experience I had was not just me and rather
>disappointing at the price - even if I solved it on a Usenet
>work-around. (Why did I opt for Vista?)
>>

>>>Come back Macromedia - all is forgiven
>>>>

>>I've never been a fan of Adobe products for reasons I can't remember
>>now <g>.
>
>Funny that - can't remember why I'm not a great fan either.
>>>
>>>Email me if you still have a problem and I'll get a copy to you somehow
>>>- email if you can handle 22Mb or so or one of my web sites. obg at
>>>otterson-bgdotcodotuk
>>
>>I got it finally! Haven't read it yet.
>
>Good
>>

>>>Tiny Scottish Borders market town where the salmon fishing in the Tweed
>>>is supposed to be some of the best - and you are in grave danger of
>>>passing into and out of England every few miles! :-)
>>>>
>>LOL! I only know what you mean because I have a bunch of classic
>>British fly fishing books.
>
>Being a Perthshire / Angus man at heart I believe the Tay to be much
>better fishing for salmon and trout
>>

>>I just buy most of Al's stuff but am really not in biz but love how
>>slick they are. I just bought his latest "mega" menu system but have
>>no idea what the heck I will use it for or need something like that.
>
>Must buy some - the site examples look very good. I'm running down the
>business now so less demand and more time! Keeps you active 'though -
>started up 14 years ago when I retired from my last job.

Good for you

From: PW on

>>>Email me if you still have a problem and I'll get a copy to you somehow
>>>- email if you can handle 22Mb or so or one of my web sites. obg at
>>>otterson-bgdotcodotuk
>>
>>I got it finally! Haven't read it yet.

But it's for CS3. I am sure I will be able to learn something from it
as I am working from the bottom for the most part. No way up but up!
<g>

>Being a Perthshire / Angus man at heart I believe the Tay to be much
>better fishing for salmon and trout

I don't like (to fish) rivers that big!

>>I just buy most of Al's stuff but am really not in biz but love how
>>slick they are. I just bought his latest "mega" menu system but have
>>no idea what the heck I will use it for or need something like that.

And the sites I did for us all look great on my iPod Touch!

>Must buy some - the site examples look very good. I'm running down the
>business now so less demand and more time! Keeps you active 'though -
>started up 14 years ago when I retired from my last job.

I'm 51, you must be old <BG>

-paul
From: Duncan Kennedy on
In message <7s38351l9mp419osn6ctu8ctpl4ofio1fh(a)4ax.com>, PW
<emailaddyinsig(a)ifIremember.com> writes

>I'm 51, you must be old <BG>

The word for that here is "sprog"! :-)

Try another 20

Although I have had computers, including one connected to a university
mainframe via a lovely polished wood and velvet lined box for a
telephone handset connection - since 72, I only started web development
14 years ago.

--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay