From: Art Matz on
Here is what I came up with: (3 transactions)

1. Return of capital of 29.33 which reduces my Cost Basis.
2. Short term gain for 1.54 (Shows up with dividends though instead of the
Capital Gains report)
3. Miscellaneous expense (Investment Expense) of 30.87.

From: TomYoung on
I actually tried my suggestion - in a TEST file - of splitting shares
into ounces, selling ounces, creating Investment Expense in the amount
of the sale proceeds ($0 cash effect in account) and then converting
back into shares. I did the first split on 12/30/2009, then entered
the transactions, then did the reverse split on 12/31/2009. Also
adjusted the GLD "share" price on 12/30/2009 to get back to the
correct Market Value on that day. Everything came out OK, though I
had to do a very small "added transaction", at $0 cost, to get back to
the correct number of shares. Everything came out OK, proper gain on
sale, proper basis adjustment, etc., but it sure seems like a lot of
work for very little purpose.

Tom Young

From: wbertram on
On 3/3/2010 6:55 PM, Art Matz wrote:
> I have a Gold ETF. During the year, no transactions for this ETF were on
> my brokerage statements.
>
> But on my 1099-B detail for this ETF (one month example):
>
> Date Sold = 5/31/09, Qty = 0, Proceeds = 30.87, Cost Basis = 29.33,
> Gain/Loss = 1.54
>
> It also section called Proceeds Investment Expenses - Detail Information
>
> Date = 5/31/09, Amount = 30.87-
>

> I was told I could claim the 30.87 as investment expense. Also, the cost
> basis for this position was reduced by the 29.33.
>
> How do I enter a transaction in Q which will reduce my cost basis by
> 29.33, show with a capital gain of 1.54 for 0 shares and investment
> expense of 30.87
> without affecting the number of shares and money in my account?

Have you searched the IRS.GOV site to see how they recommend handling
this? Then reproduce that in Quicken.
From: Targ on
In alt.comp.software.financial.quicken, wbertram(a)teranews.com wrote:

>Have you searched the IRS.GOV site to see how they recommend handling
>this? Then reproduce that in Quicken.

Good luck with *that*.
From: TomYoung on
On Mar 4, 3:01 pm, "wbert...(a)teranews.com" <wbert...(a)rcn.com> wrote:
> On 3/3/2010 6:55 PM, Art Matz wrote:
>

> > I have a Gold ETF. During the year, no transactions for this ETF were on
> > my brokerage statements.
>
> > But on my 1099-B detail for this ETF (one month example):
>
> > Date Sold = 5/31/09, Qty = 0, Proceeds = 30.87, Cost Basis = 29..33,
> > Gain/Loss = 1.54
>
> > It also section called Proceeds Investment Expenses - Detail Information
>
> > Date = 5/31/09, Amount = 30.87-
>
> > I was told I could claim the 30.87 as investment expense. Also, the cost
> > basis for this position was reduced by the 29.33.
>
> > How do I enter a transaction in Q which will reduce my cost basis by
> > 29.33, show with a capital gain of 1.54 for 0 shares and investment
> > expense of 30.87
> > without affecting the number of shares and money in my account?
>
> Have you searched the IRS.GOV site to see how they recommend handling
> this?  Then reproduce that in Quicken.

The SPDR Gold ETF site has the tax implications well laid out.

http://www.spdrgoldshares.com/media/GLD/file/SPDR-Gold-Trust-Tax-Information-2009.pdf

The harder part is making entries in Quicken because you aren't
selling shares, you're selling ounces of gold, and you do have to
adjust your basis as well as report gain or loss. The method I
outlined works, but it's a PITA.

Tom Young