From: jainraje on
Hi,
Any suggestions on how to handle a merger between two companies that
includes both cash and stock conversions?

Questions that come to mind:
1) How to capture tax implications of the transaction
2) How to handle cost basis for the new stock

Hopefully I'm not the only one looking for the above answers.

The recent merger of SGP and MRK would be a great working example.

Here is link to the document detailing tax implicantions:
http://www.merck.com/investors/stockholder-services/Merck_Tax_Summary_For_Website.pdf

I copied the subject from a thread on the quicken website but there
was no clear answer contained in the thread.

Thanks,
--Rajeev
From: R. C. White on
Hi, Rajeev.

That Merck/Schering-Plough merger described in the link you gave is a great
example of how to handle THAT transaction. But that does not necessarily
apply to ANY OTHER transaction.

While we can learn from studying such examples, each transaction is unique.
Tax effects can turn on a single factor that may be different from the
"example" transaction, producing quite different results for the
shareholder.

Can you tell us WHICH two companies were involved in the merger you are
asking about? A link to the website of at least one of them should help us
find the Investor Relations page there to read and (hopefully) understand
the details of THAT transaction. Also, please tell us which company's
shares you held before the transaction; it's hard to get the right
perspective from which to view the transaction unless we know that. The
view is different from Company A, Company B, Company A's shareholders,
Company B's shareholders - and for an interested bystander, such as a CPA
trying to understand the whole picture.

We did discuss a cash-and-stock merger here recently. See the thread, "How
do I handle the recent merger of Pfizer and Wyeth", started by
"oldman(a)old.net" on 10/18/09. As I said above, the facts of each case are
unique, so this is not likely to completely answer your questions, but it
might help. (We've not heard back from oldman, so we don't know if my
advice in that thread was helpful - or if it was discussed with oldman's tax
advisor.)

But, as is so often said, "The devil is in the details." And you've given
us no details yet.

Also, as I frequently remind readers here, I've been retired for nearly two
decades, so be sure to consult with your own CPA or other competent advisor
about all this.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA