From: mxdad290 on
How do I extract a video clip from a DVD to put in movie maker? This is a
DVD that was recorded from a camcorder so it is not copyright protected.
From: John Inzer on
mxdad290 wrote:
> How do I extract a video clip from a DVD to put in movie maker? This
> is a DVD that was recorded from a camcorder so it is not copyright
> protected.
=================================
The files on the DVD that you are looking for
are the VOB files...you will find them in the
VIDEO_TS folder. Once you have the file
imported into Movie Maker you can split it
and remove any portion you do not want and
then save the remaining part as your final movie.

You can play the VOB files with the freeware
VLC Media Player if you want to see exactly
which VOB file contains the footage you are
seeking.

VLC Media Player
http://www.videolan.org/

If you are running Vista you may be able to
import the VOB files into Movie Maker as they
are for editing but if you are running Win XP
you will have to convert them to the .wmv format
before importing .

The following free software can do the conversion:

SUPER � Simplified
Universal Player Encoder & Renderer
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/SUPER
(the mirror download site is faster)

(FWIW...it's always a good practice to create a
System Restore point before installing new software)

After installing SUPER...open the program...
you will see two small circles in the upper left
corner of the screen...tick the TOP circle.

Now...drag/drop your .VOB files into the Active field.

Output Container...choose...wmv

Video Scale Size / No Change

Left click the Encode button.

Choose: Simple Profile / OK...

Wait...

(FWIW..I have better luck with video if I do not
try to multi-task while a file is being converted)

When the file is converted...you should find it in...
Program Files / eRightSoft / Super / OutPut.

Or...you can type...Ctrl+T...to open the Save
Window and choose a save folder.

Good luck...

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP