From: Pete Puma on
If you Suse users were to share a folder to an XP machine on the same subnet
(behind a router), would you:

1) use simple filesharing and select to include Samba Shares?
2) run the full-blown Samba Server in Yast?

If I choose simple filesharing, will it automatically launch the necessary
SMB services or do I need to manually make sure they are running as I would
using a full-blown Samba Server?

Thx for reading.
From: ray on
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:43:40 -0500, Pete Puma wrote:

> If you Suse users were to share a folder to an XP machine on the same
> subnet (behind a router), would you:
>
> 1) use simple filesharing and select to include Samba Shares? 2) run the
> full-blown Samba Server in Yast?
>
> If I choose simple filesharing, will it automatically launch the
> necessary SMB services or do I need to manually make sure they are
> running as I would using a full-blown Samba Server?
>
> Thx for reading.

I believe I would install the freely downloadable (from MS) unix tools
and use nfs.
From: Pete Puma on
ray wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:43:40 -0500, Pete Puma wrote:
>
>> If you Suse users were to share a folder to an XP machine on the same
>> subnet (behind a router), would you:
>>
>> 1) use simple filesharing and select to include Samba Shares? 2) run the
>> full-blown Samba Server in Yast?
>>
>> If I choose simple filesharing, will it automatically launch the
>> necessary SMB services or do I need to manually make sure they are
>> running as I would using a full-blown Samba Server?
>>
>> Thx for reading.
>
> I believe I would install the freely downloadable (from MS) unix tools
> and use nfs.

This would be sharing from the XP side?
The shared drive in question is Ext3--I thought it would be easier to share
it Suse-side to Windows. The receiving "media server" is hooked to a TV and
running XP.
Was thinking of changing XP to dual boot suse 11.2-- would depend on the
success I have with the Linux Nvidia driver seeing 2 monitors.
From: ray on
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 22:10:40 -0500, Pete Puma wrote:

> ray wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:43:40 -0500, Pete Puma wrote:
>>
>>> If you Suse users were to share a folder to an XP machine on the same
>>> subnet (behind a router), would you:
>>>
>>> 1) use simple filesharing and select to include Samba Shares? 2) run
>>> the full-blown Samba Server in Yast?
>>>
>>> If I choose simple filesharing, will it automatically launch the
>>> necessary SMB services or do I need to manually make sure they are
>>> running as I would using a full-blown Samba Server?
>>>
>>> Thx for reading.
>>
>> I believe I would install the freely downloadable (from MS) unix tools
>> and use nfs.
>

> This would be sharing from the XP side? The shared drive in question is
> Ext3--I thought it would be easier to share it Suse-side to Windows. The
> receiving "media server" is hooked to a TV and running XP.
> Was thinking of changing XP to dual boot suse 11.2-- would depend on the
> success I have with the Linux Nvidia driver seeing 2 monitors.

It is my understanding that the MS unix tools allow either direction. I
believe it would allow NFS access on the MS machine to an NFS share on a
Linux box.

All we're really talking about here is whose native sharing is better.
IMHO NFS is.