From: Stuart Rosen on

Firstly, I would like to thank the regular contributors for adding so
much value to this Forum. I have found it an invaluable resource.

I have a task in my schedule, that is showing 20 days of negative slack.
The task has one predecessor (already 100% complete) and a number of
successors. No activities in the chain of sucessors have constraints -
they are all "Start As Soon As Possible". Also, none of the successor
activites have any actual values recorded, as they have not yet started.
There are no deadlines in the schedule either.

I have generally found tracking down the offending task that causes
negative slack very time consuming and at times confusing.

Does anyone have any other items to look for, or any hints as to how to
find the offending negative slack item ?

Thanks in advance.

--
Stuart Rosen
Stuart Rosen's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/199571.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Trevor Rabey on
I never have any such problems with negative slack.
In the absence of date constraints and deadlines, there are not any other
obvious culprits and it is difficult to assist without seeing it.
Send it to me? Host the file on Rapidshare or similar?
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

From: Jan De Messemaeker on

HI,

Show the total slack column.
Auto Filter on the negative slack value.
The last one with negative slack is he culprit
And you WILL find it to have a constraint, a deadline, or an actual start
date.
Mind you, you can have an Actual Staryt date without having any actual work
nor duration recorded.
HTH
--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional

From: Stuart Rosen on

Hi Trevor / Jan,

Thanks for your responses to this, and thanks for the offer to send the
schedule through Trevor.

I believe that there was a corruption in the file that led to this. I
tried to remove my password from the schedule to send through to Trevor.
It did not work as the resulting unprotected file was corrupted. I
then tried to export to XML and create a new project file to send
through.....and when I recreated the file from XML, the negative slack
had disappeared. Just out of interest, I then opened the offending
schedule to check the calculation options. It was set to Automatic
calculation. However, when I pressed "Calculate Now", the negative
slack was removed.

Thanks again for your offers of assistance.

Stuart